Brahma hen - foot wound/issue

Pics

prostar

Crossing the Road
9 Years
Apr 23, 2015
Sunny SoCal
Alright. So. Yes I am the worst chicken mom ever that it’s this bad. So she presented with a foot issue about two weeks ago. Gave her the epsom salt soak, started spraying it with microcyn (tsc was out of vetricyn) seemed to be looking less angry. Two weeks later of her foot getting sporadic treatment (hubs letting out/tucking in chickens or sometimes she just flat out refuses to cooperate) and it’s bad. Gave her another epsom soak tonight and treated with vetricyn and antibiotic ointment - but now I suspect infection is taking over. She’s lost a lot of weight, mites are an issue (also got a poof down with poultry dust) and her fluffy butt is pretty gross.

Is she too far gone? Is there hope, what could I do to treat, or would it be cruel to continue? She’s in “chicken intensive care” now (aka spare bathroom shower), she was in the backyard/dog run this week - was easier to have her separated and able to keep a closer eye on her and I thought maybe there was something in the main run or coop that she got her toe caught on or something)

DC0182FF-3DDC-4208-B69F-61C88D396F34.jpeg

Before her soak

780B9DC0-657F-4981-AD5F-A7F7CFE317EF.jpeg

Crazy White Chicken has been very concerned. She actually broke into the dog run last weekend when I put the Brahma back here so they’ve been together this past week.

F0B347FA-5362-4813-B705-52BF32875A9E.jpeg

After the soak

246B99AC-08EB-4519-9D72-70D88C258E71.jpeg

And of course, the foot issue isn’t bad enough....

6C183280-03C6-4915-AB74-63B3A434729F.jpeg

The arsenal of wound care. (Epsom salts not pictured)

Edit to say I’m in Cali so I can’t go to tsc for any antibiotics. Ditto to fish mox- I could probably get some tomorrow but locally...not so much.

So here is a thought. I would not try it until others weigh in. I learned years ago, when you get an infected cuticle or hangnail, soaking the finger in the hottest water you can stand draws out the infection. I’ve tried it myself and it worked amazingly. I wonder if thus might be worth trying here?

So here is a thought. I would not try it until others weigh in. I learned years ago, when you get an infected cuticle or hangnail, soaking the finger in the hottest water you can stand draws out the infection. I’ve tried it myself and it worked amazingly. I wonder if thus might be worth trying here?
Well. I know the hottest I can stand. But I tend to shower in water straight from the flames of hades sooo...I’m not the best judge of that. She gets her epsom salt soak warm...but I’m afraid to go HOT.

Well. I know the hottest I can stand. But I tend to shower in water straight from the flames of hades sooo...I’m not the best judge of that. She gets her epsom salt soak warm...but I’m afraid to go HOT.
Yeah, I wouldn’t try it until others weigh in. I don’t know the scientific basis for it, but it seems to work. I do also wonder if some gentle scrubbing/debriding might be good here.

I suspect infection is taking over. She’s lost a lot of weight, mites are an issue (also got a poof down with poultry dust) and her fluffy butt is pretty gross.
Have you taken care of the lice with a Permethrin based poultry dust?
Cleaned out housing, treated it and the other chickens too?

I agree seeking vet care is best. I know you are in CA, but you could try ordering online. It may take a few days to get meds, but it's worth checking out that option.

Her bum is gross? Does she have runny poop or is it from the lice?

Back
Top Bottom