Brahma in an A-frame?

collitchboy

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 25, 2011
Good morning. I have ordered my first batch of chicks and am still trying to decide on what type of coop to build. I have been looking at and researching the A-Frame/Catawba coop designs pretty extensively due to their compact size as well as their reported benefits.

In calculating dimensions, angles, square feet, etc. I decided to look up the average height of a Brahma. I have found some threads on here that basically state the size can vary greatly but the average SEEMS to be about basketball size. If it makes any difference I ordered from Ideal Poultry. Would a 'basketball-sized' bird fit appropriately in a Catawba styled coop?

I will be housing 2 White Leghorns (actually Ideal 236), 1 Buff Brahma, and 1 Black Minorca.

Thanks for the input!!

Their bodies may be basketball size, but when you add legs and neck, I don't think they would fit!

This guy isn't full grown yet, but is pretty tall
31698_p1020280.jpg

Even the girls can get pretty big. For an idea of her size, this is a queen-sized bed.
31698_p1010796.jpg

That would have to be a pretty large A-frame. I have one but I am going to use it for smaller pullets before they join the flock.

Please note I am new to chickens... Listen to the elders
smile.png

You can use this type design, just use 6ft sides rather than 4 ft sides. This is what we are using for our LF and they work quite well. Our LF Columbian Dottes and LF Cochin have plenty of room this way.

30249_sany0688.jpg

Here is the plans on the 8 side pieces use the measurement of 70 1/2 in. rather than 46 1/2. That will drastically increase ground coverage but they work very well.
30249_pen.jpg

Back
Top Bottom