Brahma Rooster

My buff Brahma was a nice boy until he attacked a child. Completely unprovoked. He was as tall as she was. I was so stupid back then about managing roosters. the girl is fine, but it’s a good reminder to never let your guard down when it comes to large roos. Take my stupidity as a lesson and don’t learn it yourself.

My youngest Brahma roo is 8 months old and I believe he is overly aggressive with 2 of my girls. 2 roosters 34 hens. Plenty of space free range all day. He seems to have singled out 2 of the flock he goes after. One happens to be a 2 year old Brahma 😞 …. Is it time to make him super? Should I give it a bit and see if he figures it out and leaves them alone? Noticed she was still in coop alone today avoiding him. Attaching photo of her head/back of neck.

Attachments

• A72D43AE-740A-4F6E-84A6-E0A4A24E704F.jpeg
    A72D43AE-740A-4F6E-84A6-E0A4A24E704F.jpeg
    516.7 KB · Views: 17
I have decided to stick my big boy in with a few of my goats and some of the smaller hens can fly their way over the 7ft fence and he can’t so I’m going to see how his attitude changes letting the girls choose to be in with him or not and being the little dude in with the a few goats.

I currently have two Brahma Roos. They were not raised together so it’s not like they grew up in different ranks, but one attacked everyone who comes int the pen and the other loves nothing more than to be picked up. The aggressive one was my first chicken, so I was probably less assertive with him than I should have been, but I didn’t raise my other one so I don’t know about him. I think it’s part upbringing, part nature. Brahmas are known to be friendly, but they’re so big that they aren’t afraid of you.
1F8D870F-B9AF-4E4C-9DEF-38A2D6D4474E.jpeg
Colonel - the nice one
41070311-8A42-40E7-A6B4-BDC7232BAFD1.jpeg

Blue - the nasty one

I currently have two Brahma Roos. They were not raised together so it’s not like they grew up in different ranks, but one attacked everyone who comes int the pen and the other loves nothing more than to be picked up. The aggressive one was my first chicken, so I was probably less assertive with him than I should have been, but I didn’t raise my other one so I don’t know about him. I think it’s part upbringing, part nature. Brahmas are known to be friendly, but they’re so big that they aren’t afraid of you.View attachment 3400311Colonel - the nice oneView attachment 3400313
Blue - the nasty one
Beautiful birds and yes they are big and I think they are used to being the king in there. I figured some bigger animals around mine might help.

5730E6F9-07B1-4DB4-AFC3-AE0CF60F8442.jpeg
the colonel is a big bird, about 20 inches tall, but Blue is massive. I don’t know if this makes a difference because they’ve been like this when both separate and together. They get on well too - Blue only seems to like attacking people rather than other roosters. He actually does a mating dance for him sometimes.

Aahh I have a 1 Yr old light Brahma boy named Foghorn! And he is amazingly sweet, he doesn’t fight with my other teenager rooster.. actually he even feeds him. It might be thanks to free ranging, not cooped up but I’ve only ever had one agressive rooster who was only agressive to children so I sold him with his hen to two people without kids. Maybe he got eaten maybe not.

I had a silkie rooster who died from lice brought in on a supposedly clean pullet while I was on vacation but he was amazingly sweet… never got to hatch his eggs though.

Brahma are so far my favorite breed, I have two buff Brahma pullets and they’re very funny and already bigger then most of my hens at 5ish months old.

Just to make sure- the buff Brahmas in this photo are the golden and black ones
IMG_9441.jpeg
IMG_9465.jpeg

Aahh I have a 1 Yr old light Brahma boy named Foghorn! And he is amazingly sweet, he doesn’t fight with my other teenager rooster.. actually he even feeds him. It might be thanks to free ranging, not cooped up but I’ve only ever had one agressive rooster who was only agressive to children so I sold him with his hen to two people without kids. Maybe he got eaten maybe not.

I had a silkie rooster who died from lice brought in on a supposedly clean pullet while I was on vacation but he was amazingly sweet… never got to hatch his eggs though.

Brahma are so far my favorite breed, I have two buff Brahma pullets and they’re very funny and already bigger then most of my hens at 5ish months old.

Just to make sure- the buff Brahmas in this photo are the golden and black ones
View attachment 3550355View attachment 3550354
What a fun chicken spot ♡

Back
Top Bottom