Brahma sexing...

nicole63021

Songster
6 Years
Mar 8, 2013
West St. Louis County, MO
Will try to get good pics of the birds in question tomorrow, but I'm wondering at what age the boys and girls really start to look different in Gold Laced Brahmas. Have 9 week olds that haven't really developed any sort of wattles and have no red or really even pink coloring in the comb. 1 is feathering in a little slower than the other 2, but nothing else really gives away a gender. If anyone has any thoughts I'd appreciate it. Would love to have 3 pullets, just seems really lucky!

Brahmas overall can be slow to mature, I've seen 3 month old birds here where gender still wasn't really obvious.

seconded. Brahmas, are like silkies in the fact that they mature so slowly it's really difficult until they're older. I think I read one post where they thought it was a hen until it started crowing.

Will try to get good pics of the birds in question tomorrow, but I'm wondering at what age the boys and girls really start to look different in Gold Laced Brahmas.  Have 9 week olds that haven't really developed any sort of wattles and have no red or really even pink coloring in the comb.  1 is feathering in a little slower than the other 2, but nothing else really gives away a gender.  If anyone has any thoughts I'd appreciate it.  Would love to have 3 pullets, just seems really lucky!

I think one thing we kept forgetting is that like Dark Brahmas, the gold laced look very different when they are mature. I could tell almost a month ago that mine were opposite sexes-you've seen the photos. My boy had red lines under his beak at a month and a much more pronounced comb and much richer coloring. Looking forward to the updated pics!

I think one thing we kept forgetting is that like Dark Brahmas, the gold laced look very different when they are mature. I could tell almost a month ago that mine were opposite sexes-you've seen the photos. My boy had red lines under his beak at a month and a much more pronounced comb and much richer coloring. Looking forward to the updated pics!

You saw my pics not too long ago, they just have more feathers and size now, lol. So the gender is really throwing me! They just have the flesh color to the combs still, and only just recently got the chin stripes where the wattles will be.

You saw my pics not too long ago, they just have more feathers and size now, lol. So the gender is really throwing me! They just have the flesh color to the combs still, and only just recently got the chin stripes where the wattles will be.

Hi Nicole63021. Brahmas are such nice birds. I haven't had the black or buff laced gold variety yet, I hope they turn out to be just at sweet. To help with early sexing, look at two things. Look at the wing bows. In my experience the feathering will be delayed here if it is a boy. I also look at the combs.. The boys will have a slightly broader comb than the girls and you will see very tiny bombs on either side of the main blade/bumps if it is a boy. I because this is a newer variety, the combs may or may not be as consistent as in the light/dark/buff varieties.

In any case,pictures would be welcomed. Try to include a close up front head/ comb shot if they will hold still for you!

Last edited:
They are fun, lovely birds, there is a suspect roo, who is feathering in a bit slower, especially on the wings. They don't hold still, lol! Got a few pics I will upload later tonight, but they aren't perfect. Biggest thing is that Bramama and I have talked about her taking a couple of mine, and she also has a probable Roo, so want to be sure a girl goes her way for sure, and I'd like a girl too, but since they are quieter, if its a boy it could stay as long as the neighbors don't complain. If there are a couple of boys though, I need to find them a good home, since neither of us can have multiple roos.

Okay, sorry I didn't get the pics up, but none were very helpful, mostly blurs. None of their combs look quite the same though. The one that is feathering more slowly, actually has a comb that looks more like my EE's, so that's even more confusing. Looked at wattle area again, and still not seeing anything. 2 of them have broader heads, but the slow feathering one is a little smaller, and is the one with the less broad head. These little bits are hard to sex! Brahmama, I will make sure I get you what seem to be pullets! This is just tough, lol.

Back
Top Bottom