Brahma size?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Ozkan, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Ozkan

Ozkan Chirping

May 6, 2017
    Hi
    I was just considering getting 3 lemon Pyle standard brahma hens and 1 lemon Pyle brahma.Does the colour affect the size of the brahma? And if so is the lemon Pyle brahma as big as the other ones? How big will the rooster be?

Ozkan

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  2. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    As a whole the Lemon pyle brahma chicken gives a bigger appearance than it really is and the sole credit for such a look goes to the feathering.
    As the Lemon pyle brahma chicken breed is huge and heavy, it shows lesser physical activities. They eat more than other breeds and stick to a certain location most of the times. The Lemon pyle brahma chicken breed’s size is the only limiting factor that needs to be taken into account while choosing it. It requires larger housing and run space, although it doesn’t roam around a lot.

Weights average about 5.5 kg (12 lb) for cocks and 4.5 kg (9.9 lb) for hens

Lemon Pyles do not get any bigger than other colors, it is just that their feathering is thicker, making them appear bigger.

3. Ozkan

Ozkan Chirping

May 6, 2017
    Thank you so much do you know if they go broody?

Cyprus likes this.
  4. Cyprus

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Hens can go broody, but due to their size it is really easy for them to damage eggs.

5. Ozkan

Ozkan Chirping

May 6, 2017
    If two of them go broody and if held together will they share and raise all the chicks together?

6. Cyprus

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    That's a bit of a gamble. And it varies hen to hen.
    Sometimes hens who brood together will raise chicks together, sometimes they won't. Sometimes one or both hens will attack the chicks of the other hen.

7. Ozkan

Ozkan Chirping

May 6, 2017
    I wasn't hoping to get 3 Cochins 2 brahma hens 1 brahma cockeral 2 silkie hens 1 Orpington hen 2 pekin hens and 1 faverolle.

Will they all go broody?

8. Cochins are good broodys and Silkies have been my best.

9. Ozkan

Ozkan Chirping

May 6, 2017
    I was hoping to raise the chicks with the broody hens with the flock my only
    problem is that I have a 50 m electric fence as their run will this kill the chicks?
    how old should the chicks be so they don't get injured or die from the shock?
    Many thanks Ozkan.

10. Cyprus

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    All of those breeds often go broody, however you can't make a hen go broody. It is a hormonal thing. Some of those hens may go broody, others won't.
    I agree that Cochins and Silkies are some of the best broodies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: