Brahma with warm, swollen abdomen.

Jax12Ts

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2017
Florida
For the past couple of days I have noticed that my 2 yr old Brahma hen has had a warm, swollen abdomen. At first I thought she was egg bound, but I believe she has been laying eggs since I still get the same amount I normally get in the same spread out places in the coop. I felt the belly of my other brahma today and it felt normal. None of my other 10 chickens have this problem. In addition to her abdomen problem , her feathers are patchy, maybe being picked at but I have not seen any of the others go at her. On her stomach there is also a lack of feathers. I have no clue what’s wrong with her, but she doesn’t seem to be getting better or worse.

Ascites can be from a number of different things. If she is laying, that’s a good sign that it’s not a laying disorder. However, it could be from some other organ problem or infection. Does she have a bulge just below her vent, or is it more like a fullness down between her legs?

Ascites can be from a number of different things. If she is laying, that’s a good sign that it’s not a laying disorder. However, it could be from some other organ problem or infection. Does she have a bulge just below her vent, or is it more like a fullness down between her legs?
The swelling is more between her legs and a little bit behind her legs. It’s hard to describe but I would describe it as where an egg would be.

You might want to back off on the treats. I know they’re so cute, and it’s really fun to see them enjoy them. However, unfortunately, they can lead to fat on their organs which can actually result in organ failure and death. In particular, fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome.

Does the swelling feel like liquid? Or more like soft tissue?

You might want to back off on the treats. I know they’re so cute, and it’s really fun to see them enjoy them. However, unfortunately, they can lead to fat on their organs which can actually result in organ failure and death. In particular, fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome.

Does the swelling feel like liquid? Or more like soft tissue?
More like inflamed soft tissue I would say.

8EEEF489-3002-4FC3-ADC4-4F17EACEC2CE.jpeg
0BE56F52-2B7F-4043-9DB0-E851AB67D37D.jpeg

Hmmm… I hate to tell you this, but that body language sure looks like a reproductive disorder to me. I think you need to determine whether this bird is laying. Have you seen any soft/rubber eggs or fleshy looking things in the nest box?

Back
Top Bottom