Brahmas from Meyer Hatchery

Meyer has been around a long time, so as far as hatchery birds go, they are fine.

What are your goals for the birds? Are you wanting to show? If so, I'd look for an APA Breeder instead.

Just nice pets/yard ornaments that provide breakfast? Meyer is fine.

For now I just want them as pets but I would potentially like to breed them.

I ordered light and buff Brahmas from them in September. The light Brahmas have a lot of gray/black, they're not the pure white ones. I think they're actually alot prettier than the super white ones, but I'm not really after the top breed standard. The buff as far as i can tell are typical buff. My buff and light Brahma cockerels are growing up to be very handsome :) As far as temperment goes, they're super sweet. Mine follow me around everywhere begging for treats and pets. I'll probably order some dark brahmas in the spring.

20201124_185534.jpg
20201124_190428.jpg 20201124_185559.jpg 20201124_190303.jpg

I have Dark Brahma from Hoover, by way of TSC - their coloration is also sub par. Here's an example.
1607011051641.png

and while there is a definite (and perhaps not entirely earned) bias against birds from TSC and other farm stores, my general sense of the thing from having read many, many threads here is that the Meyer's Hatchery birds, on average, are superior to the Hoover birds (again, on average) for common breeds. Still not breeder quality, but better.

Also, a significant amount of variety. Here are two Dark Brahma, same age, same hatching, same, same, same, same (you get the point) from Hoover by way of TSC -

1607011371125.png

Based on what I've read of other's experiences, if I was to start a flock of a specific bird in any quantity, I would choose Meyer before going back to Hoover. For backyard egg layers in small quantities, however, TSC meets my needs for cheap and fast (when present).

Not sure that answers your question, but perhaps it eliminates another related query?

Last edited:
I have Dark Brahma from Hoover, by way of TSC - their coloration is also sub par. Here's an example.
View attachment 2435362

and while there is a definite (and perhaps not entirely earned) bias against birds from TSC and other farm stores, my general sense of the thing from having read many, many threads here is that the Meyer's Hatchery birds, on average, are superior to the Hoover birds (again, on average) for common breeds. Still not breeder quality, but better.

Also, a significant amount of variety. Here are two Dark Brahma, same age, same hatching, same, same, same, same (you get the point) from Hoover by way of TSC -

View attachment 2435380

Based on what I've read of other's experiences, if I was to start a flock of a specific bird in any quantity, I would choose Meyer before going back to Hoover. For backyard egg layers in small quantities, however, TSC meets my needs for cheap and fast (when present).

Not sure that answers your question, but perhaps it eliminates another related query?

Thank you for that info I bought some directly from Hoover Hatchery and they are not quite what I thought they would be like. I have placed an order from Meyer just to see if I get a better stock.

View attachment 2435362

View attachment 2435380

8C4C10F9-5F8D-412C-B7BD-2ED368E4C9E8.jpeg

I'm planning to get some Brahmas from Meyers Hatchery next spring.

If you plan to get Heritage Plymouth Barred Rocks from Meyer's go for it. They're very great quality.
20201126_120412.jpg
20201202_143002.jpg
20201202_142916.jpg

Back
Top Bottom