Brahmas

Well I have to limit myself a little bit because they are only a small part out of a big order!

I am getting quite a few different kinds so I'm going to see if I like the breed (which I'm sure I will) and then get some more!

Carmen.
big_smile.png

I HAVE A DARK BRAHMA...LOVE HER TO DEATH...VERY FRIENDLY...THE ONLY DOWNSIDE IS THEY ARE BIG! THEREFORE THEY EAT ALOT...AT THE TURN OF THE CENTURY, THEY WERE DUBBED "THE RICH MANS BIRD". B/C OF HOW MUCH THEY EAT VERSUS EGG PRODUCTION...I GET A EGG FROM HER EVERYDAY, AND WOULDN'T TRADE HER FOR ANYTHING.

Brahmas have a tendency to eat to much which is not good for them
idunno.gif
if they get FAT they can have problems laying!

I bring them vegtables/fruit in morning & I throw down a handful of feed for each, late afternoon if nice I let them free range (if it is not nice I throw down seeds/nut/grain) before our dinner I leave food out for them & take it up before bed!

Now there is one of my girls that is bigger then the Roo she was always huge so when I separrate them to breed I leave her with the layers!

Yep, that is true no matter what the breed is. The only problem here is that, the brahmas are such loving friendly birds, begging for a treat, or just wanting to be held...that we give in, cause they are so sweet and cute, and making them fat is cause they are so precious....we feel better, and they end up fat, Right?

bigzio

I planning to order brahmas next month. I'm just wondering what exactly it means by they "mature slower"...well I know what it means but is it noticably slower than your average chicken?

Brahmas are not full grown until they are about 18 months old. They usually start laying about 5-6 months old. My roos are huge and they are only about 7 months old. I really don't think its that noticeable. My roos sure act like mature roos just ask my girls.

Argh! I had finally talked myself out of getting Brahmas. I shouldn't have read this thread - now I want them again
smile.png
I may have to add the Brahmas back onto my order and try them out.

If Brahmas don't forage much does that mean they don't really scratch up your garden? We do free range with our chickens and our gardens are really suffering for it. This year we're planning on fencing off a large part of our yard to keep the chickens in, but I'd still like to let them roam during the day to eat bugs.

My Brahmas free range everyday and seem to do fine. I don't think they are any different than my other chickens in how much they stratch. I think if they free range they don't eat as much layer food.

I can't believe anyone has ever heard that brahmas don't forage. My flock is standing at the pen door waiting to be let out. They forage all day, cutting feed costs more than in half. They don't want to go back til the last bit of light is gone...and they have full feeders waiting for them.

My flock is so friendly and alert as to what's up. I'll never be without this wonderful breed...The magestic ones, that's for sure.

bigzio

Have any of you ordered your brahmas from hatcheries rather than from specific breeders? If so, which ones? Mcmurray?

Back
Top Bottom