Brahmas

Quote:
I haven't received my brahmas yet, but I ordered from Ideal; for one big reason.
I checked several hatchery websites and Ideal was the only one that offered all 3 color varieties sexed and in the standards. Ideal is also the closest hatchery to me, making it an even better idea to order from them.

I got my light brahma hen two seasons ago - she was the last one, and a week old by the time I brought her home. She's the sweetest thing, very social, good layer, hasn't gone broody on me yet. I have a light brahma roo now, that I got quite by accident, and he is THE most beautiful roo I have ever seen. I'm planning on breeding the two, as I'm sure they will have wonderful chicks. I highly recommend them -
smile.png

I have trouble trying to locate a breeder near me, so I ordered my original flock from Murray McMurray. Sinse then (3years ago)my one broody hen has hatched out chicks to provide some additional hens for the flock. My broody is a wonderful mom too!

I'm presently looking for some hatching eggs to provide my hen when she becomes broody.

If I can't locate any local eggs then I will allow her to hatch some more of our own same line.

I'm happy with my flock, and would like to add some new bloodline, to improve what I have.

bigzio

I got my first buff Brahmas from Welps, via our local farm store. When I decided to order more chicks later that summer, I ordered light Brahmas-also from Welps. Now, this spring I have two more buff pullets coming, along with my very first darks
smile.png

I see Brahmas on "rarebreedsauction" I have chicks (not brahmas) coming from the guy who has them next week. I get a wet yard though. How nice are they and he states that they are good layers. What do you consider a good layer? How rare are the ones he has? One is started at $100.00 , does that make sense?

They look real nice.

Rancher

Last edited:
Are you talking about the buff laced brahma's for sell on that site? If so they are a fairly new colour of the brahma breed from Dan Powel. Six day olds just sold for around 190.00 I'm curious to what you meant by wet yard?

Well I'm not argueing price certainly. I just want to bid and know whats what. I have no problem paying fair prices and I don't mind paying lots if it's what I want. I don't know much about Brahmas. I didn't get any to start cuz of the feathered feet.

By wet I mean , it doesn't drain well after a rain. There are puddles around. Though I must say I don't cut the grass real low either. I probably will in the future. I expect if I want Brahmas I 'll have to bring in some dirt and build a raised run. I love chickens and there not much I won't do to keep them happy.

I'll be watching the auctions for sure.

Thanks,

Rancher

I realize that hatchery Brahmas are smaller than those from breeders. However, of the hatcheries, which hatchery tends to have the largest Brahmas and in what varieties? What hatchery has the largest buffs, what hatchery has the largest lights, what hatchery has the largest darks? Also, is it true that darks tend to be the smallest of the three varieties?

No one? We had buff Brahmas from Ideal in the past and they were very small. I don't know if it was because they'd just started offering that variety of Brahma, or not. Perhaps Ideal's have improved by now. Anyone know about the size of the other hatcheries' varieties? Are Meyer's very small....mind you, I understand all hatchery Brahmas are smaller than breeders' birds.

I have 2 dark Brahmas that are nearly a year old. They are calm and friendly and produce small but lovely eggs about every other day. They are huge! I would not be without them now. One went broody, so I have hatched two blue chicks - don't know if I have a roo, one is yellow, one grey, but they are just lovely. I would recommend them if you have a fair amount of space. Also, mine are happy to go in their run if it's wet and their feet don't get in much of a mess - I check them regularly and no probs so far. I put a mulch called 'Strultch' down which dries really quickly after rain. I got mine from a place called Brahma Cochin here in England, and they were £35, which is about $50 I think, so $190 for those buff laced sounds like an awful lot! Have you any broodies you could hatch your own? I have just done that and now have 2 blue chicks that cost me £3 or $5! Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom