BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
Hey All!

I've been thinking about chicken-related articles that might resonate / help people during tough financial times.

Below are a few ideas, and I thought it might be good to see if y'all had thoughts and suggestions on these ideas, or other ideas?
  1. "10 Tips for Raising Chickens on a Budget" - This article offers practical advice for keeping costs low while still providing for your chickens' needs.
  2. "How to Build a Cheap Chicken Coop" - Building a chicken coop doesn't have to be expensive. This article offers some ideas for constructing a coop on a tight budget.
  3. "How to Start a Small-Scale Chicken Farming Business" - If you're looking to generate some extra income during a recession, raising chickens for profit could be a good option. This article provides an overview of what you need to consider when starting a small-scale chicken farming business.
  4. "How to Save Money on Chicken Feed" - Chicken feed can be one of the biggest expenses when it comes to raising chickens. This article offers some tips for reducing the cost of feeding your flock.
  5. "How to Grow Your Own Chicken Feed" - Growing your own chicken feed can be a great way to save money and ensure that your chickens are getting high-quality, fresh food. This article provides some tips for starting your own chicken feed garden.
  6. "The Cost of Raising Chickens: A Breakdown" - This article could provide an in-depth look at the costs associated with raising chickens, including everything from the initial setup to ongoing expenses like feed and medical care.
  7. "How to Sell Your Extra Eggs for Profit" - If you're raising chickens for their eggs, you may find yourself with a surplus at times. This article could discuss how to sell your extra eggs to generate some additional income.
  8. "The Financial Benefits of Raising Chickens" - Raising chickens can provide numerous financial benefits, from the savings on store-bought eggs to the potential for generating income through egg sales or selling chickens as pets. This article could explore some of the ways that raising chickens can help you save money.
  9. "How to Budget for Raising Chickens" - Starting a chicken-raising operation can require a significant investment, so it's important to plan ahead and budget accordingly. This article could provide some guidance for creating a budget for raising chickens.
  10. "How to Use Chickens to Fertilize Your Garden" - Chickens can be a valuable asset in your garden, providing not only eggs but also natural fertilizer. This article could offer tips for using your chickens to fertilize your garden and reduce your need for chemical fertilizers.
  11. "The Financial Benefits of Raising Dual-Purpose Chickens" - Dual-purpose chickens are breeds that are good for both egg-laying and meat production. This article could discuss the potential financial benefits of raising these types of chickens, including the ability to generate income from both eggs and meat sales.
  12. "How to Cut Costs When Raising Chickens" - Raising chickens can be an affordable hobby, but there are ways to save even more money. This article could provide some ideas for cutting costs while still providing for your chickens' needs.
  13. "The Role of Chickens in Homesteading and Self-Sufficiency" - Raising chickens can be an important part of a homesteading or self-sufficiency lifestyle. This article could explore the ways that chickens can contribute to a more self-sufficient lifestyle, both in terms of providing food and other resources.
  14. "How to Use Chickens to Control Pests and Weeds in Your Garden" - Chickens can be a natural and effective way to control pests and weeds in your garden. This article could offer tips for using chickens as part of an integrated pest management strategy.
Looking forward to your feedback!!!

Great article ideas! When these articles are written, are you going to post the links to them on this thread?

Maybe an article saying how much a chicken eats according to weight would be helpful? Or how to estimate grain costs? Being on a low income, and getting paid monthly, I have to estimate how much my birds are going to eat in a month so I don't run out of grain when I have no money. I'm pretty simple at that with really no special way, but maybe there's people who could use some help on that with something a little bit more accurate? :)

I think these topics tend to ignore that fact that backyard chickens are luxury items. They neither make money nor save money. To come out ahead financially compared to store-bought chicken and/or eggs requires a silo, buying a tanker truck of feed to fill the silo, enough birds to eat it all before if goes bad and an inexpensive building to crowd them in to. You can't do that in your back yard.

I think these topics tend to ignore that fact that backyard chickens are luxury items. They neither make money nor save money. To come out ahead financially compared to store-bought chicken and/or eggs requires a silo, buying a tanker truck of feed to fill the silo, enough birds to eat it all before if goes bad and an inexpensive building to crowd them in to. You can't do that in your back yard.
You've missed the point, and if this is really your experience, you're doing it wrong!
I have none of those things, and my chickens' surplus eggs earn as much as the whole flock costs me. And they enjoy the highest welfare standard, to boot.

I like the article ideas! Particularly on how to save money building a coop and raising dual purpose chickens. Once the initial cost of the coop is covered, feed is really the most expensive part of keeping chickens so ideas on that would be great too.

I hate to be a negative Nelson, but there are a ton of factors involved and usually one is lucky to break even when raising chickens. That is the reality for just about everyone. You do it because you enjoy raising them and having fresh eggs/meat.

Maybe an article like 'reasonable expectations' or 'the reality of raising chickens.'

Back
Top Bottom