Branches for roosting

DeAZ

Chirping
Aug 20, 2023
I would like to use the branches from our trees for roosting. We have mesquite, Palo Verde and Tree of Heaven. I'm concerned about whether they are toxic. The Tree of Heaven has been listed as both safe and toxic. Has anyone else used these?

Hopefully you have tree of heaven branches because you chopped it down and burned the stump, hahaha j/k. I don't see any issue using any of those, it's not like they'll be eating it. I use tree branches for my roost bars, the chickens seem to love them. Choose wood that has a good texture and will hold the bark over time, so they have good grip on it. I've got some redwood branches that the bark came off and the wood has worn fairly smooth, some areas seem slick to me but the chickens don't seem bothered by it

Thank you for answering. We have a lot of tree of heaven branches. My father planted two of them a long time ago, and now they're taking over the yard.

:thI cannot imagine WHY you would knowingly plant tree of heaven. Mind. Blown.

For roosts, be sure that there are no splinters or sharp edges sticking out.
I think he wasn't aware that they are invasive. He collected seed pods from different trees he found in parking lots around town and planted them in his yard.

Thank you for the roosting advice.

Back
Top Bottom