Brand new babies and momma gone

nevrenufcritters

In the Brooder
May 23, 2017
I just received eight new day old chicks on Tuesday. Got them settled under my favorite white silkie broody hen that night in the broody pen that I have successfully raised quite a few clutches in over the past few years. It is actually a small rabbit hutch built off the ground. I keep it in the hardware cloth enclosed pen/coop when I am raising little ones. I left the door open to the coop/pen on Thursday to let the rest of my birds free range for the day. I have a fenced in backyard so I usually don't have many problems with predators. hawks are the worst usually. well not anymore. I came home late yesterday afternoon to check on the little guys and much to my surprise, my little silkie hen was dead In the hutch and all of the chicks are gone!!!! I have no idea what could have happened! What could have just walked in in the middle of the day, lifted the lid which is about 2 ft off the ground and made off with All of them? Why would my momma hen be dead??? I am just sick at the thought. :hit:hitmy black lab that stays In the yard has been hanging out at the back door of the house since there is construction going on inside, so she didn't do her job either.:he Any ideas of what it could be would be appreciated.

I live right outside the city limits in Denham springs Louisiana. We looked for bite marks or anything on the hen, cant find anything.No blood anywhere. there weren't any feathers all over which would indicate a fight! Think it could have been a snake?

Last edited:
Guess it could have gone through the bars at top there is hardware cloth on bottom 4 inches to keep chicks from falling out.

IMG_20170616_191739.jpg IMG_20170616_191803.jpg IMG_20170616_191912.jpg

Second pic is the broidy hutch where momma and babies were. This was actually sitting inside the area shown in third picture but the main door was open.

I was wondering f it might have been one of them naughty things I can not believe how menacing they really are I think from what I have read you will have to trap it as I'm sure it will be back!:confused:

Back
Top Bottom