Brand New Baby Care?

Chickally

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
Meredith, NH
I am picking up my 2 or 3 day old babies on Sat. We are so excited, but I am wondering...can I use a 10 gallon glass aquarium for the first few days of their transistion. I have the heat lamp, the food, the waterer, the wood shavings...but just need input as to whether on not there is a problem with putting them in glass...otherwise, we will start with the cardboard box routine...Thanks for your thoughts!!

I use an aquarium to brood babies occasionally, but its alot bigger than 10 gallons. Fish tanks hold the heat very well, so you may want to use an extremely low wattage bulb so you don't cook them. Other options for brooders are things like rubbermaid storage containers, dog/cat crates, you could even use a cardboard box. Good luck, enjoy your new fluffy butts!

I am picking up my 2 or 3 day old babies on Sat. We are so excited, but I am wondering...can I use a 10 gallon glass aquarium for the first few days of their transistion. I have the heat lamp, the food, the waterer, the wood shavings...but just need input as to whether on not there is a problem with putting them in glass...otherwise, we will start with the cardboard box routine...Thanks for your thoughts!!

Glass is no problem .Watch that heat lamp if your talking about 250w That's lotsa heat for such a small area Get a thermometer in with them tell you get the temp under control.95 deg .Probably can use a 40 w household bulb + or- 20w.it depends on Ambient temp. Remember don't cover it up too well need a little ventilation . I use a 10 and 20 gal Aquarium with my Brinsea ecoglo at one end the 10 is a little tight fit but works great The 20 is perfect.I use mine for Quail and they need more room in a week or 2.The thing I noticed with the AQ is Bobwhite Quail are really jumpy (wild) when mine are raised in AQ where they see me in the garage most of the day they really are tamer. Used to do EcoGlo in stock tank worked great But they can't see out ( only from the monster above) and they were really WILDER .Just my observation...were supposed to be talking Chics ...cva34

Thank you so much for you input. I am going to set it up today...with the thermomter and check temps....otherwise...I do have the rubbermaid container...Thank you again

I use an old 100gal lizard tank for my chicken brooder. It works great as it has a screen for the top. We did soak it with bleach water before we started using it because of the previous resident. It works great and I just use a 100w heat lamp at the beginning and a 50w towards the end. It gets a bit crowed for 10 chicks by the time they're ready to start going outside but it works great until then.

Back
Top Bottom