Diarrhea in Baby Chick 2-ish weeks old - vaccinated.

Jasfarm

Songster
Nov 16, 2021
New England
Hello!

I have a baby chick who has diarrhea consistently. He or she is on the same food as the 6 other chicks and they are fine. This chick eats, plays, drinks, and is otherwise normal. Have not noticed blood or any of the cocci signs. I have not had cocci before so I’m always watching them like a hawk.

Feed - organic 20% chick/starter grower
Brooder - brood plate, heat lamp, free food and water, pine shavings.

Pictures attached.

Thank you!

The chicken in question is the black with the white head - standing tall.

Attachments

• IMG_4360.jpeg
    IMG_4360.jpeg
    637 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4358.jpeg
    IMG_4358.jpeg
    411.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4359.jpeg
    IMG_4359.jpeg
    624.9 KB · Views: 17
Consistently as in every poop? Or are there normal poops in between, and you are just noticing this frequently?

If they seem healthy, not sure…maybe try putting a very small amount of plain yogurt in the food? Hopefully someone else with experience with this will chime in.

On a separate note, they don’t need both a heat plate AND heat lamp. Mine are doing awesome with a heat plate with lows in the 40s. As long as it is draft-free and they can go warm up under the plate, cooler room temps are great. ❤️

Consistently as in every poop? Or are there normal poops in between, and you are just noticing this frequently?

If they seem healthy, not sure…maybe try putting a very small amount of plain yogurt in the food? Hopefully someone else with experience with this will chime in.

On a separate note, they don’t need both a heat plate AND heat lamp. Mine are doing awesome with a heat plate with lows in the 40s. As long as it is draft-free and they can go warm up under the plate, cooler room temps are great. ❤️
Every time I see him I notice. I haven’t seen a normal poo from him in days. So I could be missing the normal ones? I check on them maybe 3-4x a day.

Oh! Maybe I can remove the heat lamp! They are in the basement. Even the coolest point is still about 72 degrees under the lam is closer to 90.

You could try getting some probiotics into them (like the yogurt above). I was just reading a thread about someone who had a healthy hen that only had watery poops. I think you would see other signs if it was an infection or parasites, which can cause watery stool, but even a change in food can cause it.

There are so many changes they go through as chicks, hopefully it will just go back to normal soon enough.

Coccidiosis will cause blood in stool, maybe you already know? If you ever see blood it is that. Let us know if you see any lethargy or eating/drinking habits changing.

You could try getting some probiotics into them (like the yogurt above). I was just reading a thread about someone who had a healthy hen that only had watery poops. I think you would see other signs if it was an infection or parasites, which can cause watery stool, but even a change in food can cause it.

There are so many changes they go through as chicks, hopefully it will just go back to normal soon enough.

Coccidiosis will cause blood in stool, maybe you already know? If you ever see blood it is that. Let us know if you see any lethargy or eating/drinking habits changing.
Thank you so much! I was thinking it was just chick tummy issues and not coccidiosis because I haven’t seen blood, but since I have never seen it I’m always cautious. Thank you again!!

I have some yogurt and rooster booster I can try and give them!

Yeah, if it has electrolytes it is possible it could make it worse, though. I would probably do a little electrolytes, just to try to replace some of what was lost, then switch over to probiotic pills and/or plain yogurt or kefir.

Are you still giving electrolytes? I only give it to them the first few days. Unless there is a chick needing it for some reason, then I give it separately.

Back
Top Bottom