Brand new chicken sneezed

Merry

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
So. Cal
Hi, my husband and I have been "talking" about getting chickens for several months. Tonight he came home with three chickens and a temporary cage for them, feed, waterer, etc. (traded for them with a customer-he's a plumber)
One of them sneezed a couple of times, could that just be stress? For a moment had a clear bubble on her nostril, but that went away. They were all housed together, so if this one's sick does that mean they'll all get sick? They're Red Sex Links and are very sweet. If this is an illness how can I head this off? I'm very confused.

If you can seperate the one who sneezed, that would be very helpful. See if you can't get a bottle of VetRx. It is like Vapo-Rub for chickens. Warm it by placing the bottle in hot water for a few minutes-give her a couple of drops in the beak, a couple on top of her head, and a couple under each wing.
Keep an eye on her to make sure she's not getting worse. You can also pick up an antibiotic, but I don't suggest using them unless you really have to. VetRx has cleared up most sneezes and colds for me.

You're welcome. Let us know how she does. You know... now that I'm reading your post again, you should probably treat them all with VetRx. It won't hurt. You may also want to dust them for mites and lice just as a precaution.
If you don't see improvement, or if it gets worse, please let us know and we can direct you further.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

Back
Top Bottom