Brand new duck owner with THE CUTEST BABIES EVER!!! (pics)

CherokeeGal

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 12, 2009
As Country as California gets!
So, first of all, I have to say a big fat THANK YOU to all of the gals on here that have provided me with so much info. I used this site to persuade my mom and dad to get ducklings so I am forever in your debt.
big_smile.png

So without further ado let me present to you my brand new babies Donna and Jazz!!

41060_donna_and_jazz.jpg

41060_donna_and_jazz_1_2.jpg

Donna to the left and Jazz to the right.

41060_still_1.jpeg

41060_still_2.jpeg

Our first bath! (The red is from the brooder light that I left on to keep the water a little warm.

I took mainly video so I'm trying to extract more pics.

Yesterday was their first bath. I put a towel down in the tub and filled it with a few inches of water. Then I spread out some mashed up greens and a little bit of feed so they could forage and have fun finding it. They LOVED IT! Donna immediately dove under and looked like a little torpedo going back and fourth. Jazz stuck to the little flat rock (placed in there so they could get out if they want) for a moment then jumped in and started to peep loudly! They loved it and had a great time eating their greens!

I've had them for a few days now and they are certainly a handful! They follow me EVERYWHERE and I have them out all the time. Whenever I make a quaking sound they come running to me (although they don't get very far anyway) and they always nestle in under me or on top of me and fall asleep. I love being mamma!

I also wanted to say that I've started a twitter for Donna and Jazz and want to invite all the twitterers here at BYC's duckland. Friend me so we can talk about ducks! On that same note I made a Duck Unlimited nest for duck lovers to gather and have a Donna&Jazz myspace where I need friends too! I'm going to try to blog about my adventures in duck raising so any comments or advice would be very appreciated!

Twitter: http://twitter.com/DonnaxJazz

Twitter
Nest (Group) If you're a twitter user and a duck lover you should join!: http://twinester.com/ducks-unlimited

Myspace
: http://www.myspace.com/donnaxjazz

Ok
, so enough shameless self promoting.
roll.png

Thanks again to everyone on here for the great info. I don't know what I would do without you!
hugs.gif

Awww.... What breed are they ??? we are moving out to five acres soon. I am trying to persuade my mom and dad to let me get ducklings. but so far I am having no luck. maybe if I gather lots of info and try to convince them later in spring
hmm.png
maybe by then the new house will be built.

Last edited:
They are both Blue Swedish. For some reason I just feel in love with the breed when I saw them. That's exactly what I did. Gather up you info, show them you know exactly how to take care of them, and tell them that you will pay. Lol that was a BIG selling point for me. Good luck with persuading them. It can be kind of rough at first. "Ducks!? Why in the world would you want a duck!?!" But it's totally worth it! I so know how you feel too. It took me months to convince them, and then because I wanted the swedish, the feed store told me it would be weeks before they were available because they are a special breed. But It was SO worth the wait once you see the cute little faces.
lol.png

He he... parents aren't the only ones tough to convince. I'm trying to convince my husband it would be good to have ducks. Basically, I'm following the same plan as you two... gathering the info... and lowering his resistance little by little. By spring... I think I'll have 'em
big_smile.png

Congratulations CherokeeGal!! How cute they are!! Isn't being a duck momma the most fun thing in the world??!!!?

Don't give up, Crazychicken and DuckMamaorBust (I LOVE that Username!) When the time is right, try to get hold of a baby duck to let them SEE one. That should do the trick.

We have 85 creatures on our farm and, to me, all the babies are adorable. But there is NOTHING cuter than a baby duck.

So best of luck to all of you. Welcome to the WONDERFUL world of DUCKS!!

thumbsup.gif
wee.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Is waiting for my chance to get ducklings at this point I am not sure on the breed I want. I love Blue colors ! but right now I am thinking along the lines of Runners or Khaki Campbell because they are supposed to be good layers. although has not looked into blue Swedish yet how well do they lay ? because that is probably going to be the biggest selling point for my parents. they are going to want to know how well/often they lay.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom