Brand new from upstate NY

AndrewD

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 5, 2009
Hello all,

My name is andrew and I'm a chicken addict.......j/k . Seriously though I looked online for a community of fellow chicken raisers and here I am. My wife, Kelly, and I have 25 Rhode Island Reds that we free range ( locked down at dark) and we are just now getting a steady stream of eggs. This is our first spring with chickens so it truly has been an adventure so far. I have two questions that I am hoping to find an answer for on this site. Can I raise Guineas with my Reds? and will the chickens ruin a garden if I plant one near their coup? I look forward to any insight and I also thank you all ahead of time for the help.

upstate New York? So far no one has been as far upstate than I..Onchiota--challenge?
wee.gif
Ive been looking for fellow BYc's near me--so far the closest is 3 hours-where r u? and welcome
welcome-byc.gif

Hi and Welcome!! I am in Utica, NY. The chickens will ruin your garden- I promise you!! Before you invest your time in planting or even digging- buy a fence to put around the garden! Last year I only had a rabbit fence around the veggies- and it was pretty good at keeping them out. This year I have 6 foot tall chain link and still a few girls have found their way into the garden...At the very least protect young seedlings with netting, etc. Enjoy!!

Back
Top Bottom