Brand new hen mom!

superm0m

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 7, 2013
Hi everyone, I acquired 4 hens today...strange story how it happened, but they're ours now and my husband and I couldn't be more excited! Neither of us has ever had chickens before (or any other farm animal) so we are the newest type of new!! Anyway, they came with a coop an feed and we know they are about 1 year old, but that's all we know. There are 3 that look just alike and one different one. Can someone please identify these new ladies for me so I can start doing some real research?! Thanks so much!!

Sorry- I just saw the other section used for breed identification so I reposted the pics there!

welcome-byc.gif
sorry I'm not good at guessing but, if you post clear, closeup photos on "what gender or breed is this," someone is very likely to ID them for you. You must have won the grand prize, coop, chickens, etc. sweet deak

Greetings from Kansas and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you aboard! You hen looks like a red sex link to me. They go by different names...Red Stars, Cinnamon Queens, etc., but they are pretty much the same bird. They are obtained by Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire Red roosters crossed with various white colored hens. They are called sex linked because they can be sexed at birth by their coloration. These birds are great layers of brown eggs. Mine are super foragers, quiet, and docile. You're going to love them!! You can do a a little chicken research in the Learning Center link below - it will get you up to speed quickly. Good luck to you!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/

Back
Top Bottom