Brand new neeeding help, What type and where to purchase

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by tdnp, Jan 7, 2011.

1. tdnp

tdnp New Egg

Jan 7, 2011
    We would like to raise both meat and egg birds. I know there are a hundred different opinions. but I an open to all information that I can get. I have been reading about Jumbo Cornish cross. I have 6 acres and a hutch ready. So what types are suggested and where should I purchase? We live in Kansas.

Thanks in advance for all the information.

2. maggiemooscluckers

maggiemooscluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

I just butchered 18 slow broilers from Welp Hatchery. Zero deaths, and average weight gain. These are different from the "mutant" cornish x. They didn't reach a good butchering weight until at least 10 weeks. I butchered most of the girls around 15 weeks. They were very[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] healthy and nice looking birds.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  3. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    I would go with dual purpose chicken like RIR, Barred Rock, Delaware, Sussex, etc.. There is no need to butch them all at once. If you want shorter waiting time, free range seems to get more popular.

4. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    I ordered Cornish Broilers from Welp. I liked that the prices already including shipping so I didn't have to figure anything. I ordered late on a Tues night for immediate shipping, they called to verify the next morning and shipped that day. They arrived alive and well in the early AM that Fri. I ordered straight run and while I don't have the exact numbers, I got a pretty even ratio.

This was my first go round with the Cornish. I lost a couple at 3wks to mistakes I made and one past the usual butchering time. I still put more in my freezer than what I had ordered. I did them in a tractor in KS during Nov and Dec. I didn't get the higher extremes on weight even though I grew them longer. Avg was 3-4 lbs processed weight at 8 wks. Had some feeding issues due to the days being so short, they weren't getting a full 12hrs of light to eat and water issues, at least until I got something figured out that held enough and didn't freeze. If you don't mind needing to give them light, freezing waterers and slower growth because of the feed waste to keep them warm, go for it now.

I didn't have to deal with moisture beyond rain and some icy mornings, just cold and windy. Geez it's been a dry winter. Things are supposed to get a little nasty next week last I heard. You may be happier holding off another month or two. Depends on your set-up.

No way would I do them here in the Summer, too much hassle or in the Winter again, JMHO. But I'm lazy and want the best return for the least amount of effort and investment on my part. Early Spring and late Fall though, yep I'd do it and I'll gladly order from Welp again.

For layers, unless you have any specific criteria in mind, get whatever you like or a mix. We have had many different breeds and know others with many more and all have done fine in our climate such as it is. If you're going to free range a lot, go with more browns, reds, mixed colors, etc. The yearling hawks seem to pick off the whites more. [​IMG]

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    nice looking birds maggiemoo!

tdnp you are going to find a lot of answers on the threads here.

6. Talihofarms

Talihofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    I think it depens on how you are planning to raise them.
    Pature, Free range, Organic. confinement.
    Your DP breeds will do well on pasture and reproduce fairly well.
    Cornish X and Jumbo do well in a hot feed situation. Lots of free choice and feed for 6-10 weeks then you are done. Breeding is not cost effective.

We raise both Cornish x and dual purpose.
    I like them both. Customers usually like the X then move to the Organic pasture raised DP.

Try both and see what works for you.

just my .02

7. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I'm in NE Oklahoma and I'm wanting to raise meat birds also.

1. Do they need to be separated from Egg laying Hens?

2. Feed? I know nothing about feed.

3. I'm thinking Cornish X. I will have a sectioned part of my Coop with a small run if they need to be separated.

4. Where has the best prices? Welp, Cackle, Mcmurray, or others?

Thank you,

-Nate

8. jaj121159

jaj121159 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    Quote:They should be separate as they have different feed needs.

You can start them as you would any chick. Then switch to a higher protein 21-25%. Many folks leave them on a high protein diet their short lives. Feed should also consider after the first week about limiting feed. Some people make feed available 12 hours then remove it. I found it works best to give the birds a certain amount of feed a day. I usually give them the larger portion in the morning. Then give them a smaller portion after I got home from work (5 p.m. or so)

I would recommend Central Hatchery http://www.centralhatchery.com/ or Welp.

9. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:First off , [​IMG]

My hatchery of choice is Schlecht in IA [ http://www.schlechthatchery.com/chickens.htm ] ; I've found their prices unbeatable , service great , and chicks as good any other hatchery . Down sides are limited breeds available and no vent sexing ; but they do feather sex their meaties if you want , and offer Golden Comets which can be sexed by color . The Comets are also called Red Stars by other hatcheries and are good layers of brown eggs . You can mix your order and the low price remains the same whether you order 1 or 25 , although you still have a minimum order of 25 total . Their Easter Eggers [ advertized as Ameraucana but actually not ] are pretty good layers of blue and green eggs but only available as straight run . You may find a hatchery closer to you which might save if the shipping cost is lower , plus a possibly shorter trip may be less stressful on chicks .

I've had no trouble raising other breeds with my meat birds on a 21% to 24% feed mix ; but I give them more pen and feeder space than most people do . The Jumbo meat birds are very messy and the more space available the better IMO , limiting their feed forces them to follow the other breeds looking for grass or scratch feeds I scatter and seems to make them a healthier bird with less filthy feathers ; but also lengthens the time to slaughter . [ The meaties will just sit in their own crap as close to the feed and water as possible if fed for maximum growth ] If you're planning on raising them this winter , a warm , draft free brooder is a must IMO . Best wishes !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by