BRAND NEW to BYC and SO excited about it!! :-)

cblakley0531

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2011
Shelton, WA
My Coop
My Coop
Hi BYC Community!

My name is Caty. I'm a 24 year old, stay at home Mom/Wife to my 1 year old daughter and husband of almost 2 years (we've actually been together for 8 as of last month! YAY!). I have had an interest in raising chicken since before I can remember! When I was younger, my interest in chickens was sparked when a close family friend had the cutest, small tractor coop with 4 chickens in it. They were the sweetest little things and literally jumped out of their coop to be held. I knew from then on I wanted to own some of my own. My Dad and I build a huge barn together while I was in middle school and I was promised the scraps from the build to starting working on building my own coop! Unfortunately, time got away from me and by the time I had a few moments to build a coop, I was off to college and my parents weren't really thrilled with raising chickens themselves, so it never happened and I had to put plans on the back burner for now
sad.png

We currently live in an apartment complex while my husband finishes up his degree in Business Management. As soon as he's done, we hope to move back to our hometown, get a house and start on all these fun projects we have planned out! We still have around 2 years before this will happen but it will be here before I know it! LOL! Plus, there's no harm in being prepared and educating myself on everything important there is to know about chickens for the next couple years, right?!
wink.png

I came across BYC because my interest in raising chickens was brought back to life when we visited a farming community and one farm that we went to had TONS of chickens that were all different breeds and ALL of them were so sweet and friendly. You could definitely tell they were all well loved. We visited with the gal that owns the farm and she was telling us so many different stories about all her chickens and she made me want what she had just THAT much more! All of the chickens were free range and she had about 3-4 large coops just all over the property, it was literally a chicken paradise! She has some ornamental chickens but most were layers because she's owns her own candy making business and uses her own eggs to make her goodies. You can just tell by talking to her that she really took the time to raise, take care and be with each chicken. It was completely awesome to see her love first hand and to just talk with her.

My creativity has been on HIGH SPEED and I've been searching for ideas, tips, tricks, and information ever since we visited that farm....AND VIOLA...I came across BYC and I have to say, this is BY FAR one of the more informational sites I've come across yet. Not only that, I've become engrossed with all of your pictures of coops and information you've all posted on this site! THANK YOU for those of you that take the time to contribute to this site! Ever since I've found this site and looked through all the pictures of the different coops, I've been sketching and designing my own ideas ever since. IT'S SO MUCH FUN! HAHA! I'm already addicted and I only found this site 5 days ago! LOL!

I look forward to chatting and exchanging ideas with all of you!

--Caty

frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif

Sounds like you are gonna be a great chicken mama! Spending a couple of years learning and preparing, good for you! Glad you will soon (and you're right, it goes by quickly) be able to live out your chicken dream. In a couple of months I'll finally be able to live my dream as well, and it's been one heck of a long time comin'! But as with all things, when the time is right, everything falls into place!

Nice to have you aboard!

Thank you all so much for the the "welcomes"!! I already feel so comfy here!

dkvart1 YAY FOR YOUR CHICKEN DREAMS COMING TO REALITY!! WOO HOO! I won't lie, I'm a little jealous!
wink.png
I definitely wanted to make sure that we were prepared and not going into this blind like I would have when I was younger! Now, just trying to decide what laying breeds to get!!! My family is going to LOVE US for all of our farm fresh eggs in the future!
big_smile.png

Don't be jealous! I've waited since I was 6 years old, after my first overnight at the friends of my parents who lived on a beautiful farm! I'm about to turn 54! I've waited WAY long enough! I already have friends 20 miles from where we will be moving, telling me they'll buy my eggs! They are really putting the egg before the chicken here!

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm happy you'll be getting there sooner rather than later!
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom