Brand New to Chickens!

mudpuddlebunny

Chirping
May 28, 2020
West Virginia
Hello! This is Krystle from West Virginia!!

I am brand new to chickens and I've been doing my research, even bought a couple of beginner chicken magazines from Rural King. I talked to my grandmother who actually grew up with chickens, so she has some pretty extensive knowledge.

In speaking with her and looking through my magazines, So far there are two types of chickens I really love. The first one is the Barr Rock, very pretty bird and the second is the Buff Orpington. The reason I like this bird so much, I have traced my ancestry (on both sides mom and dad) and they originate in Kent. Where this bird originated. That is pretty cool. Another bird I like is the Welsumer, he's a very handsome bird!! So, with that being said I suppose I'll answer the "beginner" questions for ya'll. Here it goes!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Yes, brand new to chickens. I haven't gotten any yet.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
None

(3) What breeds do you have?
None

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Not sure yet

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Gardening and reading. I love to read. I also love to cook and I love eggs -- from my head right down to my legs!!

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I have a wonderful kitty, his name is Mossy. I am married to the sweetest most wonderful man EVER. We've been married since July 4, 2005. I am an Infomation Systems Technician for BridgeValley CTC and actively working on a Bachelor's Degree through WGU. My goal is to become a programmer.

I recently learned to love Bacon. My husband and I tried the Keto diet and I discovered (once the cloud of sugar and carb addiction un-clouded my head and tastebuds) a lot of food I didn't really like, I love now.

The Ocean/Beach is my most happiest place on planet earth. My favorite color is Ocean Blue. We are in the process of building a home and I am going to decorate it like a beach house! Along with a nice greenhouse and a chicken coop! I'm sooooo excited!

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I found it through googling Orpington chickens.

Last edited:
Mossy says greetings and salutations! (he's a very formal and regal kitty, so he thinks anyway!) While sitting on his stool watching it rain.

My grandmother is a wealth of information, so glad I got her. Also, in my research -- just confirmed what she already told me. :-D
Well, I hope Mossy curtsied when she greeted me. - because that is the height of formality. :gig:lau

Okay, that's better. You have trained him well. I think I will follow you because at least you can keep up with a joke. :)- nah- really - I am following Mossy. 🐈

Which isn't shocking at all. People only talk to me to get to know my cat. Once they befriend him, I'm just a fifth wheel -- or as Mossy calls me, "The lady that feeds me"; when company leaves then I'm "Mom".

The handsome and ever so elegant, Mossy. Who, by the way, is an avid, die-hard New York Yankees Fan. The blanket is his. Not mine.

20200501_232239.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom