Brand new to chickens!

Thank you Kelsie! My name is Kelsey lol! Maybe we'll get a couple Easter Eggers for the colored eggs. That would be cool! I was a little unsure of the orpingtons for that very reason. I've also read that the Wyandottes also tend to go broody. But I liked that they're supposed to be so friendly. There are just to many options! We'll probably pick them out after Easter once the back orderers get theirs whether the coop is ready or not. That would motivate my husband to finish it. Hahaha!
1f602.png

Welcome to BYC, Kelsey!
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our community.

I would recommend the Wyandotte out of all those breeds (though they are all good choices). My Wyandottes have had excellent temperaments, being the most docile, gentle, inquisitive, and personable of all my birds. They've been very cold hardy and have done fine in heat as well. None of my large fowl Wyandottes have ever gone broody and have been consistently very good egg layers.

Thanks everyone! This is going to be a very tough decision! Luckily I believe my husband is under the impression that each hen needs her own nesting box. So I think he's planning on building 6 boxes for 6 hens. I'm going to keep the 4:1 ratio to myself. So there will be plenty of room for more!
1f61c.png

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

I recommend Wyandottes, but really, all of the breeds you're interested in would probably be great.
smile.png

Welcome! I'm new too! We have 14 buff orpingtons that are about 6 weeks old! I'm in love with this site! It's a great place to get answers and ideas. My fiancé now has two more projects lined up i find in here lol! I'm already planning my next order of chicks also. Good thing wet moved to the country I'm totally addicted to chickens now!

Back
Top Bottom