brand new to keeping geese :D

rachieboo

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 13, 2012
Hi everyone,
In the next few days/weeks I will be getting a couple of pilgrim geese with a view to keeping them as friendly,loving pets. Over the last few days I've read many articles from experienced geese owners and am really looking forward to it! I will be getting them from a week or two old so will be starting right from the beginning and would appreciate any extra advice anyone feels they can give me.
Also I have looked into harnesses for geese (which I understand many people may not agree with)and would really like to get one but they are only made in the USA and unfortunately I live in the UK and they would be quite expensive for me to buy when I don't really know if my babies are going to appreciate being walked! I was just wondering if anyone knows whether I could use say a rabbit or guinea pig harness in the beginning? And with regards to the diapers (as I would love my geese to be able to join me and my boyfriend indoors),which also are only available in the usa is there any substitute etc please.
I appreciate all suggestions and comments that will help me smooth out any wrinkles and make me the perfect owner.

welcome-byc.gif
from North MS!!! I have never had geese, just chickens so I don't have any advise to add but I'm glad you joined the forum!!!

Thank you so much for the replies! Very excited to actually give making the harnesses a go!

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
from Alabama. Glad you joined us. I have a Pilgrim goose, along with a couple of other breeds. They're such a sweet and friendly breed. Our girl was a house goose for the first few months of her life and one of the best tips I learned was from this website: http://www.thegoosesmother.com/id95.html We made something similar to hold her food and water and it really cut down on the messes she made.
Good luck and I know you'll loving being a goose owner
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom