Brand new

Charlie trotter

Hatching
Jun 24, 2022
Built the coop (based off of many articles that I read here) now we are ready to get the birds. Have some questions about raising chick's better than mature birds? Do I need a rooster? What birds are best for brown eggs?

Help with this will be much appreciated!

Charlie

Hi! So raising chicks vs mature laying hens. It's completely up to you. To some it may be more of the experience of having chicks and watching them grow. But if you don't want to wait and want to get some laying hens then you will have to see what's available near you. You can always check Craigslist. If you do want chicks a hatchery I'd recommend is Murray mc Murray, I've never ordered from them myself but they come highly recommended and If I were to order chicks that's where I'd get them. As far as chickens that lay brown eggs there are a good amount but if you're wanting really good layers that lay brown eggs I'd recommend Rhode Island Red, Golden Comets, Sex links, and Cuckoo Marans. Then there's the Leghorn but they lay white eggs. Depending on what you plan on doing with your flock, you may or may not want a rooster. Some of the reasons people have roosters is for breeding. Another is for flock protection. I know I have more peace of mind when I'm not home knowing I have my roosters. It really depends on what you plan to do and the purpose of your flock. Hope this helps! And if you have anymore questions I'll try my best to answer. 😊

Welcome!
Adding your approximate location to your profile helps, especially with advice. climate matters!
Read up on biosecurity before buying birds, it may save you from problems that can't be easily fixed.
Raising chicks is fun! And buying from a good hatchery, especially if you can pick them up in person, is a good idea. We've been happy with Cackle and MurrayMcMurray both, and there are others that people like.
Birds from local flocks may or may not be totally disease free, no matter how they look. Depending on your risk tolerance, they might be fine, or an unacceptable chance to take. That's where I am, after being lucky in the past.
Breeds: Weather dependent, so your location matters. Goals: maximum egg production? Good looks and personalities? Longer life potential? Heritage breeds? How about various egg colors?
Most of us recommend avoiding roosters for the first year, although that doesn't always work out either. Love them, but only nice ones, which takes experience. our first was an attack bird, never to be repeated.
Henderson's poultry breed chart, feathersite, and the catalogs from the above mentioned hatcheries have so many pictures and information, all helpful.
So, sex links for high egg production, sometimes cranks with flockmates. Don't have them here any more because of that.
Plymouth Rocks, come in several colors, all nice. Speckled Sussex, beautiful and very human interactive. Wyandottes, many colors, beautiful. Buckeyes. Australorps. Chanteclers if you are in the snow belt. So many others!
Then for egg color variety: Easter Eggers, French Marans, Welsummers.
Mary

Last edited:
Most people start off with baby chicks. As @Obsessed With Silkies said, it's mostly for the experience. Your bond with the chicks will be a lot stronger then starting off with adult hens. Baby chicks will require more time and care to start off with. They need to kept in a brooder (may have to be indoors), and they'll need a heat source for the first 4-6 weeks. If they are being kept indoors you may find them to be noisy, smelly, and you'll have to clean the brooder out more often.

People that start with adult hens normally do so because they can get eggs sooner. Laying hens will start producing eggs about 1week-2 months after you get them (stress from the move makes them stop laying). Other times people get adults because they don't feel like they have the time to raise babies or it makes them nervous. You also know for sure that you are getting hens whereas unless you are getting sex link or sexed chicks, you won't know the genders and may end up with more roosters.

Chicks can be bought at your local feedstore, online hatcheries, or from a breeder near you. You can choose from more a variety when getting baby chicks. Adult hens can be found on FB Market Place, Craigslist, or the BYC Buy ~ Sell ~ Trade, State/Country thread. You'll get less of a variety with adult birds. You'd just have to get whatever breeds people are selling if you can not find the specific breed you were looking for. Without knowing where you live or your intended purpose (meat, eggs, dual, pets,) I'd recommend Rhode Island Reds, (Red) Sex Links, Welsummers, Wyandottes, Buckeyes, Sussexs, and Barred Rocks. There are many other great breeds to choose from, so I'd do your research on what breeds will work best for your purposes and area.

I'd wait a year or two before getting a rooster. They are not necessary unless you are breeding.

Back
Top Bottom