Brand New

Thanks to y'all for the warm welcome. The two chicks have now got names: Pancake and Sprinkles (named in a school competition). We raised £60 and we are 'sending' 18 chickens to families in Africa for them to raise. This will help these families to support themselves. We do this as part of our Rights Respecting Schools award and Global Community Link.

Pancake and Sprinkles are settling in nicely at my home. They are very chirpy and are already sprouting small feathers on their wings. Pancake also seems to be getting slightly scraggy around the neck. Is this normal for chicks at 5 days old? They do seem happy and are very curious. They sit on my hand and fall asleep! All say aaaaaah!!!!!

I know I sound soft but this is the first time I have ever done this and they are soooo cute. Am I weird or do you feel this too? I got over the disappointment of not being able to help the 2 fully formed chicks that didnt make it out of their shell. I was gutted but it made me more determined to care for the 2 survivors properly.

I am completely in the dark as to their breed. They are very dark with fluffy pale bellies - like Happy Feet Penguins! Father is very large and black with a red thingy (is it called a wattle?) Any ideas?

How long do they need the heat lamp for?

ps: Now that I have found this forum, I will be on it all the time. We are hoping to incubate again later in the year so all help and advise is truly welcomed.
Thank you
XX:weee

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
from Pride, La.

Back
Top Bottom