Bratty chickens

brijetterom

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 26, 2014
My chickens have changed in the last few weeks and become very skittish and unfriendly. They used to sit around me when I was in the back yard with them. Now they barely let me come in with 20 feet.

Now sure what I did not I would like to have less scared chickens. When I put food in their coop they freak out.

Any ideas, suggestions?

Also, I should get eggs the first part of Oct. I am hoping for a birthday egg! Do I need to start training them to get in the nesting boxes now or will they figure it out? We are currently using boxes filled with shredded paper.

Any suggestions?

I think they have. They are about 5 months old going on six. So I know that egg laying is close.

Any suggestion on nesting boxes?

They will most likely figure out the nest boxes just fine, I've never had to train a bird to use one. You can get fake eggs to put in there to encourage them. Though after a while there's always the oddball or two that decide they prefer the haystack or a secluded corner of the coop. Personal preference on their part.

As far as taming them down some, try hand feeding something extra desirable like chopped hard boiled egg or dried meal worms. Just sit quietly, sprinkle some by your feet to start with and offer it from your hand. Not sure why they've suddenly become so skittish but they should settle down with bribes and patience.

I bribe them tomatoes and worms from the garden. They are so spoiled! I guess I'll just have to deal with having skittish chickens. I am just so surprised because my neighbor had chickens and they were so sweet and inquisitive. Thats what I want.

I bribe them tomatoes and worms from the garden. They are so spoiled! I guess I'll just have to deal with having skittish chickens. I am just so surprised because my neighbor had chickens and they were so sweet and inquisitive. Thats what I want.
Occasionally, but not often, it's the breed of chickens that might have something to do with how skittish they are...what breed(s) do you have?

I have Rhode Island reds. Also.... I have three chickens. How much should I be feeding them? It's hard to tell because I give them much more kitchen scraps than grain.

Last edited:
I have Rhode Island reds. Also.... I have three chickens. How much should I be feeding them? It's hard to tell because I give them much more kitchen scraps than grain.
Your girls should be allowed to eat as much feed as they wish. I would not be giving them "more" scraps than their feed. Scraps should only amount to approx. 10-15% of their daily intake. With three chickens I would give them, say, 1-2 ears of corn, or a handful of lettuce/greens. Their bodies need all the nutrients they can get from their starter/grower/layer feed.

My chickens have changed in the last few weeks and become very skittish and unfriendly. They used to sit around me when I was in the back yard with them. Now they barely let me come in with 20 feet.

Now sure what I did not I would like to have less scared chickens. When I put food in their coop they freak out.

Any ideas, suggestions?

Also, I should get eggs the first part of Oct. I am hoping for a birthday egg! Do I need to start training them to get in the nesting boxes now or will they figure it out? We are currently using boxes filled with shredded paper.

Any suggestions?
Do you take them treats and wait till they come to you? That is what I do. Try some grapes, toss them to the chickens at first and then drop them a little closer to you until they have to come right up to you to get them. You could also try the freeze dried meal worms. They will be your best friend soon enough with them.
Good luck
Marie

Back
Top Bottom