Brave, brave drake

Stonebriar Farm

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 8, 2008
Between Montreal & Ottawa
Well I love my ducks but I've been known to say they were "quite useless". Mess in the winter, always trying to mate with the hens and on and on.

Well this morning I let everyone out of the coop so I could watch them when I was having my morning coffee and the duck started making a huge fuss...a great big fox had grabbed one of my hens right off my front porch. First time I've seen any predator at all.

Well didn't my drake go after the fox, flying in his face, flapping everywhere! I grabbed a stick and the fox took off. The hens are a bit stressed but all of them are whole except the one who is missing a bit of her tail. She ran right into my arms. She eating a drinking now so I think she's going to be OK. My hens are fine with dogs, I don't think they recognized danger until one got grabbed and I'll never say those ducks are useless again.

lol nice hope your hen gets better post some pics of them.
smile.png

Close call! I am so overjoyed that the drake was fierce (and unscathed, apparently), and that you were right there to defend your flock!

A neighbor, originally from Europe, told me the other day that foxes on this continent seem to him to be much larger than European foxes, and he has seen a fox grab a duck (from another neighbor's yard years ago) in broad daylight, while the other neighbor and her children were occupied nearby. The latter never saw it happen.

That has made me quite wary now, as our flock is outside in a temporary, not-secure area while I am outside. Your story raised my spirits and reaffirmed the need to get their daytime duck yard built securely and soon. (Their house and a small feeding and watering area are quite secure, and when I am not outside, they are locked in there.)

Thanks for this!
clap.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Wow, what a brave drake! Good for him. What kind of drake is he? He sounds like a Muscovy. They are pretty brave and fierce with those claws and big wings.

Glad to hear everyone is ok.

Kathy

The drake is a Runner X Rouin if you can believe it.

Amiga - I'm used to seeing small foxes, about the size of a terrier only taller...this one was the biggest I've ever seen and more golden coloured than usual red. Beautiful fox.

I have to get secure day-time duck housing. At night they are shut up in a separate area of the chicken coop but they need better housing. I feel badly as I let my hens free range if I was around the back yard but now I'm not wanting to take the chances. My pour girl hasn't got any bites but she lost a tail...I told her that was better than losing her head but she seems a bit embarrassed. Tonight when they go to bed I'll bring her in to check her over really well. She seems very well though. Really close call!

Merna

Quote:
Wow, what a brave drake! Good for him. What kind of drake is he? He sounds like a Muscovy. They are pretty brave and fierce with those claws and big wings.

Glad to hear everyone is ok.

Kathy

lol my drake woulda kicked his butt too. he goes after anyone (except his momma
smile.png
) lol

good for your drake!!! what a good soldier!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom