1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brazen Hawks and Ninja Chipmunks Questions

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Skyfire, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Skyfire

Skyfire Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2015
    I take my 3 buff orp girls out for short excursions on warm sunny days, like today. When I take them out, I give them my full attention making sure I know where they are at all times. So far, they are very good about not straying too far. This morning as I watched them play, I contemplated letting them stay outside while I work on my veggie garden. While I'm thinking this, I see a huge hawk start gliding towards us. Its wing span was at least 4 or 5 feet. I stood up and started bellowing, waving my arms, doing everything to make myself scary. The girls ran between my legs. This hawk came within 20 yards of us before having a change of heart. I couldn't believe how brazen this bird was; he thought he could get an easy snack while I'm standing right over them! The hawk was intimidated this time.....but will he get brave and try again? Do I need to entertain the possibility that I may have to physically battle a hawk? I was planning on free ranging the girls when they are all grown up, but now......I'm not so sure about that. It seems a shame to keep them penned up when we have so much property for them to roam. I don't want to lose them either. I am emotionally attached to them even though they are technically livestock.

My other question is about chipmunks. We have so many running around the house. They are cute n all, but are they little demon chick slayers in disguise? Would a chipmunk attack a baby chick? I ask because the second outside excursion they had today I noticed a chipmunk stalking us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by