1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bread as a treat???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ragerkid2, Apr 17, 2011.

1. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    Hi yall! I let a peice of bread sit out over night and it gets really hard so then i give it to my chicks. they LOVE it!!! Is there any harm in feeding them this?
    Thanks A Bunch!

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I will once in a great while give the girls 100% whole wheat bread, but not too often. I do make the bread myself, so I know what is in it.lol For their treats, I get the starter feed wet and they gobble it up like they've never eaten before. I don't think it's that bad if given in small amounts.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    My chicks are about to turn 6 weeks old and get to romp around outside during the day. So today I thought I would try out some bread on the babies. They were so excited to see this "new treat" coming out of the bag. You should have seen the way they stole bread from each other, running and darting here and there, playing keep away with a tiny piece of bread! It made their day. [​IMG]

4. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    I give my babies and adults bread all the time and never had one get sick yet! Its almost as good as feeding the ducks at the lake lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by