Bread for Chickens

I ferment bread for my chickens often. It can be done just as feed is fermented. I cover it with water, add some probiotic, if I have some, and leave it for about four days. The tricky part is keeping it under the liquid so that it won't grow mold. I have a screen cut for my bucket for the purpose of keeping bread sunk, but frequent stirring would accomplish the same thing.
I generally use powdered "Probios" brand probiotic powder or a liquid culture started from it. I have also used kombucha culture because I always have it on hand, or the "mother" of apple vinegar for the same reason. If you don't add a culture, it will still ferment by picking up the spores available in the air.
I don't think the very wet bread could cause any crop difficulties. I have never had any problem and have been doing this for years. In my opinion, it is a good method for feeding probiotics, and the birds just love it. Even the most dignified rooster in the flock loses all inhibition when he sees a pan full of fermented bread. There is usually extra liquid in the bucket, so I add some feed just before giving it to the flock in order to soak up and use all the "chicken beer." Some may not approve, but to each his own.

Back
Top Bottom