Bread for Chickens

commonburrplantandco

In the Brooder
Nov 14, 2017
Hey BYC community,

So my local supermarket had a Black Friday sale of sorts; they marked down all day-old bread to $0.25. Of course, now I'm stuck with 8 huge loaves of bread that I can't possibly all eat by myself. So, I was thinking I could give some to my chickens. I fed them (6 hens around 20 weeks old, one of which is laying, and a rooster) about 5 or so slices today, and they absolutely loved it. I was wondering how much bread I can give them daily in addition to their usual grower feed without overfeeding them (trying to get rid of the bread before it goes bad) and what (if any) nutritional benefits does bread hold for chickens.

Thanks!

EDIT: just clarifying that these are loaves of scali bread and dinner rolls

X2 freeze it. One slice a day would be all I would give that number of chickens.

If you don't have enough room in the freezer, you could make some bread pudding, it will keep a while in the fridge.

And you could dry out the rest. Will keep a long time in a ziplock bag. Soak in water, squeeze dry and use to make meatloaf or meatballs. Grind it up for breadcrumbs and use in all sorts of stuff.

Freezing it works. Personally, I just dump my birds as much as I have to give them, lol. They finish it eventually. Did it just this week with a big box of day-old bread.

Don't copy me, though, or the chicken diet police will come after ya ;)

Go for it. I give them all leftovers and scraps every day. They will be fine!
They'll be fine but you might end up with my problem: my spoiled chickens don't want to eat their feed. I'm in a battle with them at the moment and right now they've decided that if they don't get their kale, tomatoes, meal worms, scrambled eggs and cat food, they'd rather eat their bedding than nutritionally balanced 18% protein organic crumbles. lol

Bread is, for the most part, empty calories and little to no nutrition. Whole grain would be better than white, but only in very small amounts.

I never ate frozen bread, but now I do and I really can't tell the difference. You can also make croutons, stuffing, etc with all of that bread. Bake it on low heat in the oven, with seasoning of your choice, until very dry and you should be able to store it in bags or containers on the shelf.

Back
Top Bottom