Bread or no bread????????????

momto2

Songster
11 Years
May 15, 2008
Northern Maine
I just read online that you can't feed chicks bread because it will kill them. Is this true? I gave them bread before reading this and they loved it!!

Bread won't "kill " them unless you feed them the whole loaf at one time. A little bit only as a treat is okay, but the nutrional value of it is not much and because they love it they will tend to not eat the good food that they should eat, so don't feed it every day and when you do use it as a treat and just give alittle, try to make it whole grain, and as healthy as possible.

I wouldn't give them too much. Bread is not a healthy alternative to pellets or crumbles. Depending on the bread it can have to many preservatives, salt, sugar for the birds. If it is plain white bread it would just be empty calories for the birds. Chickens need the nutrients found in their feed along with greens. When I give my chickens treats I give them yogurt (plain), cantalope, watermelon, grapes, spinach, chard, lettuce, peas, beans, tomatoes, raspberries and zucchini. They love these and will actually mope if I don't give them some. It is really funny to watch.

Back
Top Bottom