Bread ????

swtangel321

~Crazy Egg Lady~
11 Years
Jul 11, 2008
I was at a friends house today who also has chickens, I was telling her that I was giving some bread to my chickens the other day and after I gave it to them my roosters crow was all muffled and sounded like a little boy rooster ( I assume from the bread ) me and the hubby laughted about it and about 5 min later he was back to normal. She was like "ohh my god you can't give soft/fresh bread to chickens, it has to be hard/dry" Ive never had a problem with any of them eating soft bread, just the silly rooster crow once after eating it. I read the treat chart and it says nothing about soft bread just to feed in moderation (which I do)!?!? Does anyone else give bread as treats ? Is it bad for them ???
idunno.gif

I've been giving my chickens bread since I got them, and have had no problems as of yet. Just make sure the pieces are not big. It's a hoot to watch them eat it out of your hands, just watch your fingers. But, at times the piece they bite off seems too big for them....I've started to break up the bread myself and throw it out to them and make them run in all directions. Still funny to watch them.

I have fed bread as a treat and when I go to Walmart I get the marked down 'day old' specialty breads just for the chickens. The bread is still soft and I have never had a problem and this is my 3rd year with my chickens
smile.png

Mine are snobs about their bread..won't touch plain white bread but gobble up wheat and grain bread! Never had a problem with it either.
wink.png

Last edited:
Soft wheat bread. The cheap stuff. My chickens luv it. I stack several slices and then tear in half. I hold on as the mob attacks the bread. They usually just get a monthful but sometimes they haul away a good hunk. They hide behind a bush and eat a piece at a time.
You do have to watch your fingers. Ruby got a bit of skin off my thumb
roll.png

Like everyone else I have always fed bread & never had a problem. Mine are the opposite of Scrambled Egg's though-love white bread & just look at WW.

Back
Top Bottom