breakfast is served!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Always Learning, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Always Learning

Always Learning Just Hatched

Dec 26, 2014
    Uh oh, I think I may have a problem brewing in the coop!
    Today was the second time in as many days I have found suspicious activity in the nesting box and I'm getting worried that one of my hens may be enjoying an early morning breakfast.

Yesterday was an egg, broken in half with most of the contents gone. Today I found 5 eggs lying in goo of the insides of a missing egg. I got 5 whole eggs and one real messy spot. I'm thinking someone ate ALL of the sixth egg, maybe throwing the shell on to the floor, where I would not notice it.

How can I find out WHO is doing this and stop it?? I have 11 hens and usually get 10 eggs a day, so it could be any of them. This is done sometime between 5 AM (when the lights go on) and about 7:30 (when I go out for the first time). Help please....

2. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    I've got one doing it too! I discovered it when I saw her proudly carry the half eaten egg down the ramp and out the barn door. I think I'm going to try the roll away nest box inserts. Maybe if you have a trail cam you could move it into the coop and point it at the box for a morning or two? Just a thought as lots of folks have those now. Good luck catching the little devil.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Are you feeding supplemental calcium? extra protein? Try both of those 2 options. Are your nest boxes secluded, dark? Some folks have deterred this behavior with curtains. (out of sight, out of mind) No curtains are not just for the Martha Stewart type of coops!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by