Breaking a broody hen

Zoom Zoom

Songster
6 Years
Mar 15, 2014
Rolla, MO
Goodness, it's been a while since I've been on Backyard Chickens. I'm not sure I like the user unfriendly format. Used to be able to find the needed forum and easily start a new thread. Apparently those days are gone, not even sure this is going to post, hope so because I need help, I think.

So, here's my question. One of my BOs went broody five days ago, I thought great, I'll just call Cackle Hatchery, order day old chicks, run to Lebanon to pick them up then let my hen raise the little ones. Well, as I'm sure you know, that didn't work out as planned, no peeps until next year. I started breaking the broodyness today. Last year I broke one in three days by keeping her in the coop in a large wire dog carrier all day and night. I put her in the carrier today but it was so nice out with a wonderful breeze that I put the carrier in the run. Mid afternoon I let her out, she ate, drank then got in the dust bath with another hen. She stayed in the dust bath for a while then went to the yard with the others for a while. When she went back to the nesting box, I moved the carrier to the coop and put her in the carrier for the for the night. The carrier is sitting on 6X6"blocks to raise her in the air. I'm wondering if it's a mistake to let her out briefly, am I undoing the time she has spent in lockdown. Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom