Breaking a broody w/pics

BigBirdRick

Chirping
Jan 26, 2017
Fort Mill, S.C.
So tonight begins with my first attempt at breaking one of our RIRs broody behavior. I have read up on this great forum how to achieve the most ethical way.

I borrowed a good sized cat crate from my MIL. She has a bit of stretching room. I 1/4" hardwired the bottom. I elevated off the ground with standard bricks. I have her in the Chickmore Estate well protected from any night time predators. Fresh food, BOSS, a sprinkling of meal worms and of course fresh water. The other girls are above her in their roosts. Yes, I covered the broody crate top so she won't get pooped upon.

I was out of town and don't know exactly when she went broody. I think I will give her until Wednesday afternoon. I just don't know how to judge her confinement. Any suggestions?

Thoughts comments are always welcomed!!!

Thanks for reading.
IMG_20170604_203355219.jpg
IMG_20170604_203106120.jpg

Looks good. Let her out in 3 days and see if she goes back to the nest or not. Most break in 3 days, some take 5. You could give her a roost if you want, but it's not necessary.

Since you don't know exactly how long she has been broody, don't be surprised if she is not "broken" in three days. I have a hen that goes broody several times a year and even though I moved her right away into a room to break her broodiness, it took seven days every time. It varies with each hen and you will know once you take her out and goes back to her favorite nest or resumes her life with the rest of the flock. Good Luck!

We've had one broody for 7 days now. I need advice other than putting her in a wire bottomed cage. I let her out once or twice a day to free range, but once she starts heading back to the nesting boxes, she goes back into her cage. She sits in the cage as if it's a nesting box, in her "trance". I've even tried the cold water method and nothing seems to be breaking her. Any advice?

Hey Amanda, I am sorry to hear you are going through the same. I was kinda wondering to that should I allow my broody to open pasture with the rest of the girls at mid day or keep her in "jail".

Our broody is coming up on 24 hours in solitaire. She hasn't laid an egg and doesn't look to happy. She has plenty of water and fresh food and fruits to snack on. Oddly she is squaking at me to let her out.

I use larger mesh(14ga 1x2") on bottom of crate so most poops fall thru, and it's stiffer/stronger. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...rates-a-good-tool-for-every-chickeneer.72619/

My experience went like this: After her setting for 3 days and nights in the nest, I put her in a wire dog crate with smaller wire on the bottom but no bedding, set up on a couple of 4x4's right in the coop and I would feed her some crumble a couple times a day.

I let her out a couple times a day(you don't have to) and she would go out into the run, drop a huge turd, race around running, take a vigorous dust bath then head back to the nest... at which point I put her back in the crate. Each time her outings would lengthen a bit, eating, drinking and scratching more and on the 3rd afternoon she stayed out of the nest and went to roost that evening...event over, back to normal tho she didn't lay for another week or two.
Water nipple bottle added after pic was taken.
1020994-7e69d99665c07bb2b29072fbd10a87b5.jpg

Thank you Art for your input. May be tomorrow I will let her stretch her legs a bit. I will lock all the girls out while they do some afternoon foraging.

Mine isn't pooping in her cage. I saw a huge poop yesterday after free ranging them and assume it was hers. We are going on 8 days now. I'm leaving for vacation in two weeks and hope she is over this by then! It appears one of my others is starting to get broody now too. Yes, I think it is good for her to get out twice a day and move around. I was hoping that wet cold grass would help, but so far she is still very broody. Mine wanted to get out of the cage for the first few days, but now just sits there as if it's a nesting box. I am worried as she appears to be losing weight.

Mine isn't pooping in her cage. I saw a huge poop yesterday after free ranging them and assume it was hers. We are going on 8 days now. I'm leaving for vacation in two weeks and hope she is over this by then! It appears one of my others is starting to get broody now too. Yes, I think it is good for her to get out twice a day and move around. I was hoping that wet cold grass would help, but so far she is still very broody. Mine wanted to get out of the cage for the first few days, but now just sits there as if it's a nesting box. I am worried as she appears to be losing weight.
Does she have feed and water in her cage and she is not consuming either???

She does have food and water. She is picking at her food. My daughter goes out every few hours and tries to get her to eat. I saw her drinking a few days ago, so I assume she still is drinking. Since I let her out twice a day, I'm guessing she poops when she is not in the cage, but I am still worried about her and wish she'd get over it.

Back
Top Bottom