Breaking a Broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Crooked Beak, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Crooked Beak

Crooked Beak New Egg

Jan 5, 2009
    Help I need advice on breaking my Broody girl. It's been two weeks, she sits there all night/day. I don't want any more chicks, and don't have a rooster. Any ideas on how to break her? I tried ice cubes, and I keep pulling her out of the box, any other tricks???[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    What I did with mine is put her in a cage with no food or water for four hours and when I put her back in with the hens she was broke! She was pretty easy. Not all are going to be that easy though. Good luck!

3. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Put her in a wire bottom cage that is elivated a couple of feet off the ground. Do not provide anything to sit on not even a roost pole. Do provide food and water. I usually leave them in the cage for at least 5 days.
    I use this method with a very good success rate.
    I will tell you there are some hens that this does not work on, the broody gene is just too strong.
    I have two now that I actually have sitting on eggs. After they rear their chicks they will lay for about a week to 10 days and go back to being broody. I have NEVER been able to break these two up so I don't even try any more. They are just mixed breed hens.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  4. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    In my avatar picture I am attempting to break my broody by threatening her with a turkey baster. It didn't work.

In my experience, I would just toss her off the nest. All of my broodys eventually got the message and went back to normal chickenry.

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    In my avatar picture I am attempting to break my broody by threatening her with a turkey baster. It didn't work.

[​IMG]

I know with mine, I spent an hour just throwing her off the nest...she kept going back clucking all the way LOL Then when I put her in a small cage for four hours she snapped out of it. She had already laid on eggs for 21 days though and was eating them so I took them away from her. She wanted to continue to sit anyhow. She was totally normal when I put her back in the run [​IMG]

6. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    I do the same thing Scooter does. Put her in a wire bottom cage, like a Cockateil or other bird cage and hang it up. Give her food and water. Sometimes it takes a day or two-sometimes longer. Just depends on the hen, but it usually works. Good luck.

Paula:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by