Breaking BYC Records Like Crazy - Some Statistics !!

Discussion in 'Website Announcements, Feedback, Issues, & Guides' started by Nifty-Chicken, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Congrats everyone! Your wonderful personalities and support are really making a difference. We hope it won't be too long until our mission of A Chicken In Every Yard is fulfilled!!! [​IMG]

Well, yesterday was one of the (if not the) busiest days ever on BYC and today we set a new record for the most people online at one time, 539!

You guys know that I'm a statistics junkie, so here is where we are for daily averages since the beginning of 2009:

New Users 54
    New Topics 317

Just amazing! That is 3.27 posts every minute of every day!!!

We've got some really exciting things planned for this year. You thought 2008 was a fun year on BYC, well hold on tight because we've got a log of really fun stuff planned for 2009!

The BYC Staff thank you for all your support. It is the wonderful members of this great community that make this a place that more than 50 new people visit and join every day!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Uh oh, time to upgrade the servers!

Yay! [​IMG]

Edited for poor placement of doodahs

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  4. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    I have no doubts a server upgrade is going to be in the near future when the next additions to BYC come online. [​IMG]

5. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

We'll absolutely be doing upgrades. Some are planned right before Spring starts and others are on the sidelines for when we need to call them in. This is like getting a bigger engine for your car and having a pit crew ready to change the tires! [​IMG]

We also try to make things more efficient in the code and in the server config to maximize what we currently have. Kinda like making sure the tires are inflated, the oil and air filter are clean, etc. [​IMG]

One thing we're thinking about doing is doubling the frequency of backups. The plus side is that if the site explodes and the HD's (all the ones on the RAID 10 Array) melt, we'll only have 1/2 day of data lost and not 24 hours. The downside is that the BYC database is HUGE (and growing like a broiler on 25% protein rations) and if we double the daily backups we will be doubling the space required.

6. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Upgrades [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    I know we were trying to break a record tonight at 8:30est/5:30pst. I can't find that thread, so I will post here so I get counted as online. Hope we are doing it!

8. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    6:39pm 449 online

9. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    We did set a chat room record tonight (at least, one that is "official" now). If anyone breaks this, make sure to post a screen shot.

[​IMG]

10. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Oh, we ARE chatty folk LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by