Breaking eggs issue

Squirrel Man

Chirping
Jul 14, 2022
First post is a question, an issue I'm suddenly having. I have 6 sex link reds, they generally lay on average 5 eggs a day but with the summer heat they've slowed a bit averaging 3 maybe. They're on layer pellets but throughout the year they eat a LOT of scraps (vegetable and bread stuff that my local hospital cafeteria saves for me daily - I bribe them with eggs lol), probably 75% of their diet is scraps. They've done very well, healthy and productive on this system. I also supplement them with a heavy dose of oyster shell once a week or so.

They're 2 and a half years old and lately their shells have been thinning. At first they were impossibly thick, much thicker than store bought eggs but just lately they're thinner and sometimes crack easily. I do crumble up their shells and feed them back to them.

So just recently for a few days straight now I'm getting one single flattened egg in their layer box. Every day just one egg, it's really odd. Never happened before. They're not eating the shells, I clean it out and throw it away. There are 5 side boxes in the coop but they consistently lay in just one box. Boxes are padded with cedar chips and sometimes when they kick chips out an egg might break on the wooden bottom but I have them fairly well padded.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I would leave the oyster shell out for them all the time and keep it full. They can help themselves to as much as they need then.

You can also do a mixture of Mustard, vinegar, hot sauce and water (until it's about egg yolk consistency) and fill an egg with it. Seal with a bit of candle wax and leave in the nest box. That fixed mine eating eggs for a good while and when they started again I'd just fix them up another special egg surprise.

I would leave the oyster shell out for them all the time and keep it full. They can help themselves to as much as they need then.

You can also do a mixture of Mustard, vinegar, hot sauce and water (until it's about egg yolk consistency) and fill an egg with it. Seal with a bit of candle wax and leave in the nest box. That fixed mine eating eggs for a good while and when they started again I'd just fix them up another special egg surprise.
That's just it, I don't think they're (or one) are eating them.

It's probably something stupid like not enough padding in the box but it's really odd that it's suddenly now happening every day for the past 4 or 5 days. Just one single egg a day is crushed (shell not eaten). The other 3 or so eggs are fine.

I'm not sold on these cedar chips either, I just started using them earlier this year. I might go back to straw.

Thanks for your reply! And to the others who've replied!

I have a red sex link that kays very thin shelled eggs. Yesterday was so thin it was like the consistency of a rubber glove.? with the insides spilled out in bedding.
Let them have as much oyster shell as possible, and give back their shells too. I've also given them dissolved calcium citrate tablet . I was told to give directly in her beak but wasn't sure which hen it was.
If they are egg eating I ditto the mustard idea.
Difference here is I only have one thin shelled egg layer. I hope this helps,
I also ditto the more feed and less treat post as this will give more calcium in diet. I feed very little bread, treats are small amounts of black oil sunflower seeds, some scratch, floating fish food ( cheap protein 38%) and I started wetting their feed.
Cold fruit scraps and veggie scraps.

First post is a question, an issue I'm suddenly having. I have 6 sex link reds, they generally lay on average 5 eggs a day but with the summer heat they've slowed a bit averaging 3 maybe. They're on layer pellets but throughout the year they eat a LOT of scraps (vegetable and bread stuff that my local hospital cafeteria saves for me daily - I bribe them with eggs lol), probably 75% of their diet is scraps. They've done very well, healthy and productive on this system. I also supplement them with a heavy dose of oyster shell once a week or so.

They're 2 and a half years old and lately their shells have been thinning. At first they were impossibly thick, much thicker than store bought eggs but just lately they're thinner and sometimes crack easily. I do crumble up their shells and feed them back to them.

So just recently for a few days straight now I'm getting one single flattened egg in their layer box. Every day just one egg, it's really odd. Never happened before. They're not eating the shells, I clean it out and throw it away. There are 5 side boxes in the coop but they consistently lay in just one box. Boxes are padded with cedar chips and sometimes when they kick chips out an egg might break on the wooden bottom but I have them fairly well padded.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Oh my...the poor things are going to start having more serious issues soon. Please stop ALL the scraps before it's too late. The layer pellets are a complete balanced diet.
Anything that you feed besides that is taking away from them getting a balanced diet.

I have a red sex link that kays very thin shelled eggs. Yesterday was so thin it was like the consistency of a rubber glove.? with the insides spilled out in bedding.
Let them have as much oyster shell as possible, and give back their shells too. I've also given them dissolved calcium citrate tablet . I was told to give directly in her beak but wasn't sure which hen it was.
If they are egg eating I ditto the mustard idea.
Difference here is I only have one thin shelled egg layer. I hope this helps,
I also ditto the more feed and less treat post as this will give more calcium in diet. I feed very little bread, treats are small amounts of black oil sunflower seeds, some scratch, floating fish food ( cheap protein 38%) and I started wetting their feed.
Cold fruit scraps and veggie scraps.
I stopped the hospital scraps two weeks ago and that's the odd part. Because of the flies that scraps attract this time of the summer. The daily egg smash seemed to start right after that.

They don't seem to be taking much of the pellets also by my observation. Wondering if I spoiled them.

Going to ramp up the oyster shell this weekend but do you think feeding them their eggshells back (after we cook with them) matters?

Thanks!

I think you just have a hen that is having a glitch. For a lot of years, chickens were fed mostly scraps and a little grain, and not a perfect diet.

I just don't think the perfect diet is an every day kind of thing. Very few people have a perfect diets and for the most part, life goes on. Now if you want maximum production and maximum life span, well go for it.

I will toss scraps, sometimes if is way more than 10% and sometimes it is less. I keep an eye on the run floor. If things are still there the next day, I back off on them. I think a hospital staff amount of scraps might be too much. But I really don't think that the diet has that much to do with it.

KEEP the oyster shell out in a separate bowl 24-7. It will just sit there, and look like nothing eats it, and then one day it will be gone, then add more. And you don't have to cook the egg shells, just toss them in the bucket.

Egg goofs happen, the high heat, maybe their age all might be influencing. Truthfully, you can do all of the above, or do nothing, and I think it will stop in about the same amount of days.

Mrs k

I think you just have a hen that is having a glitch. For a lot of years, chickens were fed mostly scraps and a little grain, and not a perfect diet.

I just don't think the perfect diet is an every day kind of thing. Very few people have a perfect diets and for the most part, life goes on. Now if you want maximum production and maximum life span, well go for it.

I will toss scraps, sometimes if is way more than 10% and sometimes it is less. I keep an eye on the run floor. If things are still there the next day, I back off on them. I think a hospital staff amount of scraps might be too much. But I really don't think that the diet has that much to do with it.

KEEP the oyster shell out in a separate bowl 24-7. It will just sit there, and look like nothing eats it, and then one day it will be gone, then add more. And you don't have to cook the egg shells, just toss them in the bucket.

Egg goofs happen, the high heat, maybe their age all might be influencing. Truthfully, you can do all of the above, or do nothing, and I think it will stop in about the same amount of days.

Mrs k
Thanks Mrs K, that sounds like good advice. I'll be patient and careful.

I was just in Custer SD a few weeks ago for a little vacation with the family.

Back
Top Bottom