breaking eggs

The breaking/eating a few/weak eggshells seems normal for new layers. Some people use the rubber drawer liners in the nest boxes. My early breakage was from pecking the eggs, not hitting the nest box floor, as I found a couple intact but with pecked holes. You many want to add an alternative and additional calcium source until they get established laying.

Thanks for all the advice. We went to the dollar store and bought 2 rubber door mats, cut them in half to fit in their boxes, & laid about 2 inches of shavings in the bottom of the box. Almost 2 weeks now & not the first broken egg since. They are still kicking most of the shavings out but its ok as long as the eggs are not breaking....... As far as the egg eater she must have been doing that because they were broken already. She hasn't bothered any since we put the rubber mats in there (Yeah!!!). I really am Glad I found this site. Ya'll have been sooo helpful.... THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the advice. We went to the dollar store and bought 2 rubber door mats, cut them in half to fit in their boxes, & laid about 2 inches of shavings in the bottom of the box. Almost 2 weeks now & not the first broken egg since. They are still kicking most of the shavings out but its ok as long as the eggs are not breaking....... As far as the egg eater she must have been doing that because they were broken already. She hasn't bothered any since we put the rubber mats in there (Yeah!!!). I really am Glad I found this site. Ya'll have been sooo helpful.... THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom