Breaking our broody hen

Duckchickens

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2022
We have a broody hen(possibly a lavender Orpington) who is very determined to hatch out eggs.
we don’t have any room for more babies. We have tried giving her fake eggs but it is getting to hot for her to stay in the nesting boxes. We have tried ice packs and she actually seems to enjoy them. Any ideas for how to break her broodyness?
thanks

Can be hard to break them when it's hot.
Might dunk her belly before putting in the crate, maybe put the ice pack under the crate, maybe even direct a fan under the crate.
Keep her in a the coolest place possible.
I had one during a heat wave and had to move the crate several times a day to keep her in the shade.

My experience goes about like this: After her setting for 3 days and nights in the nest (or as soon as I know they are broody), I put her in a wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller wire(1x2) on the bottom but no bedding, set up on a couple of 4x4's right in the coop or run with feed and water.

After 48 hours I let her out of crate very near roosting time(30-60 mins) if she goes to roost great, if she goes to nest put her back in crate for another 48 hours.

Tho not necessary a chunk of 2x4 for a 'roost' was added to crate floor, gives the feet a break from the wire floor and encourages roosting.
1655325383666.png

Might dunk her belly before putting in the crate, maybe put the ice pack under the crate, maybe even direct a fan under the crate.
I had one during a heat wave and had to move the crate several times a day to keep her in the shade.

My experience goes about like this: After her setting for 3 days and nights in the nest (or as soon as I know they are broody), I put her in a wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller wire(1x2) on the bottom but no bedding, set up on a couple of 4x4's right in the coop or run with feed and water.

After 48 hours I let her out of crate very near roosting time(30-60 mins) if she goes to roost great, if she goes to nest put her back in crate for another 48 hours.

Tho not necessary a chunk of 2x4 for a 'roost' was added to crate floor, gives the feet a break from the wire floor and encourages roosting.
View attachment 3149695
What are your thoughts about putting hen in a sand box with cage around her? Will that work. Is it necessary for them to be on wire floor?
I don’t have a dog crate, but have a wire fence I can set up in the run. Dealing with broody hen X’s 2 days for the 1st time. Thanks!!

What are your thoughts about putting hen in a sand box with cage around her? Will that work. Is it necessary for them to be on wire floor?
I don’t have a dog crate, but have a wire fence I can set up in the run. Dealing with broody hen X’s 2 days for the 1st time. Thanks!!
The idea of the wire bottomed crate, raised off the ground/floor is to cool their bellies off.
It can be done without a crate but may take longer.
@rosemarythyme, and others, breaks hers in a pen on the ground.

The idea of the wire bottomed crate, raised off the ground/floor is to cool their bellies off.
It can be done without a crate but may take longer.
@rosemarythyme, and others, breaks hers in a pen on the ground.
Caveat is I generally don't get as hot of weather as most of the US, so cooling off a broody isn't an issue. I also toss birds in as soon as they show obvious broody signs, I don't wait for them to sit in the nest both day and night (which is the common approach). Often by the time I cage up a broody they still have one last egg in the tract, which they lay in the breaker, so that's how early I try to break them.

View attachment 3149695
I broke my broody hen. She showed first signs about 12 days ago (I think) and has not nested for about 8-9 days as has been with the flock like normal, but no interest in the nesting box.

When can I expect her to start laying again?

Thank you!

I broke my broody hen. She showed first signs about 12 days ago (I think) and has not nested for about 8-9 days as has been with the flock like normal, but no interest in the nesting box.

When can I expect her to start laying again?

Thank you!
Can take up to a couple weeks....maybe longer this time of year(the days are growing shorter).

Back
Top Bottom