Breathing difficulty in 4 week old duckling

Littlo

Hatching
Jun 9, 2023
Hello. New duck/chicken owner here. One of my ducklings is breathing more rapidly than usual, it is audible, and occasionally holding the mouth open. I have not been able to find a vet who deals with ducks who can see new patients. Can anyone offer any help or advice? Thank you in advance. 🌻

:welcome
How old is this duckling? does it have a way to dunk its head to clean out its nares and eyes?
Do you have any vetRX?
Any other symptoms like discharge from nares or eyes?

Duckling is 3 1/2 weeks old. Have deep water bowl for dunking. No to the vet/RX (do not know what that is), and no discharge at all.

Vet Rx is like vicks vapor rub for humans but it's a liquid it helps when one is having trouble breathing. To use on a duckling I use a cotton ball and just swipe it over the nares so it doesn't drip down into the nares and it can also be put into their water.
Any way you can put up a video? you'll have to put it on youtube or another similar platform then copy and paste it here. What breed is your duckling?

Vet Rx is like vicks vapor rub for humans but it's a liquid it helps when one is having trouble breathing. To use on a duckling I use a cotton ball and just swipe it over the nares so it doesn't drip down into the nares and it can also be put into their water.
Any way you can put up a video? you'll have to put it on youtube or another similar platform then copy and paste it here. What breed is your duckling?
Not sure if I can post a video, but ordered vetrx on Amazon for delivery tomorrow. Duckling is Pekin. Thank you so much for your help! 🌻

Another thing to keep in mind is Pekins seem to over heat more so than other breeds V so make sure if you’re still using heat what your temps are in the brooder. Temps in the brooder can be between 70-75

Back
Top Bottom