Breathing Issues

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DaviJones, May 20, 2018.

1. DaviJones

DaviJones Songster

Nov 7, 2017
    South Western, AZ
    Went out to check on the chicken and found my EE had some breathing issues. She was sneezing rather frequently, about every ten or 15 seconds for maybe 3 or 4 minutes. And they were rather hearty if that makes sense. She's finished sneezing and then went to gasping with her neck extended, although that could have been influenced by me putting her on her back to check her over quickly, with hindsight probably a poor choice. She's already improved a bit while working on the post and is now more lightly panting and scrawing. Here's some videos of how she was, any suggestions? Should I be worried?

(Sorry about the mess in the background)
    I almost forgot to add we do have a mister on for the chickens and she was original under there. Maybe just sone aspiration, but I didn't want to miss anything. And thank you all, of course

Attached Files:

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Free Ranging

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How is she doing?
    What are your temperatures like?

Do you notice any discharge from the nostrils or eyes?
    Has she continued to sneeze?

She may have had some food stuck or she had something in her nostrils. I hear no wheezing/gurgling in the video.

The second video she looks heat stressed to me.

3. DaviJones

DaviJones Songster

Nov 7, 2017
    South Western, AZ
    She's actually greatly improved, I moved her back outside. It's about high 90s to 105 right now she they have been panting.
    No discharge throughout the ordeal and she's stopped sneezing.
    That's good to hear, thank you.
    I wouldn't be surprised, it's warm inside and out, I wasn't sure if it related though so thank you again.

I'll probably watch her for the next few days but is there anything else I should do?

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Free Ranging

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I agree that you should watch her and the rest of your ladies if your temps are already that high.
    Heat stress can kill a chicken. See that they have plenty of deep shade, fresh cool water (if possible) through out the day. Watery treats are usually welcomed too (watermelon, cucumber, etc. remember everything in moderation).

It won't hurt to have some electrolytes or poultry vitamins on hand. The best thing you can do if one seems to be suffering from heat is to gently move her to a cooler place, offer cool water/electrolytes, but try to keep her stress to a minimum. See if she will drink on her own. Some birds need a couple of days to recover.

5. DaviJones

DaviJones Songster

Nov 7, 2017
    South Western, AZ
    Thanks for the advice! I'be actually just let them out to free range for that exact reason, hoping they'll find a cool spot. I also have some frozen rinds for treats and plenty of water, which I unfornately can't keep cool while gone but it is about ten degrees less. Thank you again!

Wyorp Rock likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by