Breathing strangely, wheezing

birdsintrees

Hatching
Apr 12, 2023
Hello, my bird suddenly started wheezing and making strange sounds. I am not sure if she has a bit of food stuck or a respiratory infection. She does not have any mucus. Please help!

A video of her sounds may help. Chickens can get stridor a wheezy sound that occurs when a small piece of food gets in the airway when eating too fast. Sometimes it can occur if they have a respiratory infection where there is mucus or narrowing of the airway. Here is a video of a chicken with stridor that went away after a few hours:

A video of her sounds may help. Chickens can get stridor a wheezy sound that occurs when a small piece of food gets in the airway when eating too fast. Sometimes it can occur if they have a respiratory infection where there is mucus or narrowing of the airway. Here is a video of a chicken with stridor that went away after a few hours:

It's been about 24 hours and she's still wheezing, it has neither gotten better nor worsened. I don't think she has food stuck. There are few vets in our area that treat nor diagnose chickens. Do you have advice on eliminating/deciding possibilities like gapeworm, respiratory illnesses, aspergillus, etc?

Gapeworm can be treated with SafeGuard liquid goat wormer 1/4 ml per pound of weight, so 1.25 ml for a 5 pound chicken, given orally for 5 consecutive days. Respiratory diseases can be viral, bacterial, or fungal. Only bacterial ones may respond to certain specific antibiotics. Aspergillosis is a mold fungus, so no treatment works except removing the cause.

Does she have any eye bubbles, drainage,,or eyelid swelling? Is there any nasal drainage, cough/sneeze, gasping, rattles when breathing? Is she acting normally and eating/drinking?

Gapeworm can be treated with SafeGuard liquid goat wormer 1/4 ml per pound of weight, so 1.25 ml for a 5 pound chicken, given orally for 5 consecutive days. Respiratory diseases can be viral, bacterial, or fungal. Only bacterial ones may respond to certain specific antibiotics. Aspergillosis is a mold fungus, so no treatment works except removing the cause.

Does she have any eye bubbles, drainage,,or eyelid swelling? Is there any nasal drainage, cough/sneeze, gasping, rattles when breathing? Is she acting normally and eating/drinking?
She doesn't have any of those symptoms except for the gasping. She's eating and drinking normally, but has less energy than usual. None of our other chickens are experiencing any symptoms like she is

Last edited:

I'm thinking about starting doxycycline, but it's hard for me to be sure without knowing what exactly she's dealing with.

Back
Top Bottom