Breed and gender guesses have a mixed flock of 13.

Holy moly she is CUTE 😍 Feisty has a bit more pink but it stops at the top and is pale after that a bit. Look at that fluff coming off!! The getting feather stage is one of my favorite parts seeing them change is so neat!
Pepper and Salt (obviously) are some of the cutest baby (and adult) birds I have had.
4834A13F-869E-40EA-B7D7-8955B6259A34.jpeg
2311B41A-3C9B-4480-B9DF-5D352C00CE40.jpeg
9CBBCF27-9C84-44FD-85CC-96542136E1F8.jpeg
00499DAA-D6E2-4D37-BEDC-E27878C0D707.jpeg
2474F556-FD80-4AA7-A05C-1C44FB82AFD1.jpeg

Though would like to know if 2 roosters (if my Dom is one) would be too many or could they get on fine?
It will depend on the individual birds. They might fight too much, they might over-mate the females (causes bald backs on the hens), or they might be just fine. If you like both males, I would keep them both for now, but be prepared with a spot you can move one if needed (a dog crate often makes a fine temporary pen while you decide whether to eat the bird, rehome him, or build a second coop.)

A common rule of thumb for large flocks is one male per 10 hens. ("Large flocks" being ones with hundreds of birds.) With a small flock, that ratio is not a bad starting point, but the temperament of the individual males can make a BIG difference. Some people have good results with pairs or trios (one male with one or two hens), while others have much more than 10 hens per rooster and still have problems.

If that's your silkie I'm a tad jealous it was on my list of dream chickens but said I will take what is there this go around and maybe if I get a broody hen hatch out some silkies. I just held out my hand and said thank you to what was available. They're all really easy natured birds so far I have young kids that pick them up (very careful and when they were small it was sit and I'll put it in your lap) and it helps a lot with their personality I feel. Each of the 4 older ones are the most spoilt by the kids but for me that Dominique just melts my heart.. lol
Yes this is one of my silkies, a 12 week old pullet as my current Avatar. I breed and raise them. They are sweet birds, good with kids. Very hard to tell genders though until often over 4 months of age.
As far as the rose combs go, all of your wyandottes have them as well.
You really did luck out on the pullet lottery. What a bargain you got as well.
Good luck with all of your birds. You should end up with a colorful egg basket too. 😊

It will depend on the individual birds. They might fight too much, they might over-mate the females (causes bald backs on the hens), or they might be just fine. If you like both males, I would keep them both for now, but be prepared with a spot you can move one if needed (a dog crate often makes a fine temporary pen while you decide whether to eat the bird, rehome him, or build a second coop.)

A common rule of thumb for large flocks is one male per 10 hens. ("Large flocks" being ones with hundreds of birds.) With a small flock, that ratio is not a bad starting point, but the temperament of the individual males can make a BIG difference. Some people have good results with pairs or trios (one male with one or two hens), while others have much more than 10 hens per rooster and still have problems.
I have a younger chick coop attached to the run with the big kid coop. Using the younger chick one as the place for the meat birds the day before their you know "time" comes. I can use that as a pen so there is still grass and space if it comes to it. Both are very mellow. I really thought the one wyandotte I call little man was a male based on attitude 😆. So far these two are both very mellow with the Dom being friendliest. So if it's a pick one and they stay the same level (both are sweet) the Dom will win for it's interactive chatter and hanging out personality. I'm sure someone would take a Barred Rock named Marshmellow .

*edited thought not though oops.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom