Breed and Gender Guesses? (Pics)

tharrell

Songster
11 Years
Jul 28, 2008
Colorado Springs
I picked up these guys at the feed store today and the lady that helped me said she didn't know the breeds, and they were all strait run. Any guesses? There are three pictures of each: side, top, and wings. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance!!! Oh, I also wanted to ask if anyone can tell their aprox ages by the amount of feathers they have. Thanks again!
Chick6-1.jpg

chick1-1.jpg

chick2-1.jpg

chick3-1.jpg

chick4-1.jpg

chick5-1.jpg

Last edited:
Keep in mind that I have about 6 days experience with chickens. But, the yellow ones have similar markings and colorings on the head and early feathers. Mine are about 15 days old. And, I have all RIR.

People that can sex chicks make allot of money doing it.. you can't sex them from photos, vent sexing is the most popular. That said.. try the needle and string it seems to be pretty acurate.
As for breed Murray McMurray has photos of chicks next to the breeds.. Knock your self out.

You just discredited all of us who have made a VERY good living being able to sex chicks without needing to look at the vent...and then you say that the string method is reliable?

Have you ever tried the string method with the string tied to something that is immobile? such as a nail in a piece of wood...that's attached to something that you're not holding?

rodriguezpoultry thanks for saying what I was going to say. I know there are very knowledgable people on this board that can help me, and I found that comment just rude. By the way, I am more than aware of the fact that I could spend hours sifting through pictures. Stop being such a smart a$$!

Your top two black chicks look kind of like barred rocks, but it almost looks like they have some brown feathers in their wings and that would eliminate my barred rock guess. I hope they're not black sex-links, because if so, they would be males. Black sex-link cockerels & roosters look like barred rocks, but also have some brown feathering - I don't know whether or not the brown feathering shows up in babies. I have no idea on the breeds of the others.

As for the age of the chicks, I'm guessing just under 2 weeks. These photos are of a couple of my chickens when they were 2 week old chicks (give or take a couple days), so you can compare.

Barred rock - female
10-29-08_1531.jpg

Production red - female
10-29-08_1528.jpg

Back
Top Bottom