Breed and gender - help needed!

musicalxchickens

Hatching
Jun 25, 2023
I bought 8 pullets from a local girl, she got them from tractor supply but saw our post looking for pullets and offered to sell us some of hers.

She said 4 were RIR but she couldn't remember what the other 4 were.

Naturally, 3/4 of the RIR are roosters. They are very sweet so we're building them a bachelor pad. However, the other 4 I can't figure out what breed they are! I want to make sure I split them up correctly and dint have to reintroduce anyone.

20230625_192025.jpg

It's the lighter 2 up front I'm confused about. Here's a better picture of the ones tail feathers that has me concerned they're a roo:

20230625_192014.jpg

Any help would be appreciated!!

Sex links? Careful with bachelor pad, they either work or they don't.
I imagine those are the two options, yes! Haha. We have a backup plan if it doesn't work out, but we're putting them on the other side of the yard and giving them extra space so hoping for the best. They are all still good buddies so we are trying to separate them before that changes! They are about 17 weeks old.

The two lighter coloured ones look like pullets :)

Good to know, thank you!!
Yep, I agree.. not a breed but a hybrid.. gold/red sex links. (pullets) Sold under several names like Golden Comet, ISA Brown, Red Star, etc., depending on the cross.

That's a relief! I think 3 roosters is quite enough 😅

You'll want to consider getting the cockerels out of there sooner than later. They are, if they haven't already, about to start breeding and that ratio will be incredibly hard on some new layers.

You'll want to consider getting the cockerels out of there sooner than later. They are, if they haven't already, about to start breeding and that ratio will be incredibly hard on some new layers.
They are evicted from the hen coop this week! Just need to set up some fencing for them.

Back
Top Bottom