Breed and Gender Help

Country Birds

Chirping
Aug 7, 2022
Southern Idaho
So this might be a long shot, but here we go…
My husband’s friend from work hatched out some chicks for us from their own flock. They have various breeds (I’m pretty sure they don’t have any barnyard mix) but he said he tried to only collect eggs from his ISA Brown hens. He has three roosters. I’ve never seen them, but according to my husband (who knows nothing about chicken breeds) one of them is a big black one and the other two are white.

The chicks are four weeks old. Of the 6 chicks we got, 4 of them seem like they could be cockerels. I have a lot of space and no rooster currently, so I was thinking of keeping one cockerel. I’d really like to know what egg color gene each one would carry, but I don’t know if that’s possible since they are mixed breed.
Anyways, if anyone could offer any help on the possible breed mix or the possible genders, that would be appreciated!

I’m thinking cockerel based on attitude and comb. Has some feathering on legs and one white feather on either wing
5CE7575F-BF30-4EBF-B4D5-3118D957144F.jpeg

FA8DFAF4-5B84-41FE-828D-30138DD4E601.jpeg

4B6D0117-44C7-4194-BD71-CD9F1987DF5F.jpeg

CEA11B6C-5AEB-48A0-BD37-13F6488EC048.jpeg

This one seems like another cockerel to me. It has weird black marks though and also has feathered legs.
DF508E9B-CCCB-4715-A02E-EAF801F22E4A.jpeg

B0283A5B-53C7-4155-AB4B-B42B62F69236.jpeg

43E645AC-051F-4734-A31D-A9744C6C746C.jpeg

56FC0F3B-BC3D-41ED-8FD0-565C6DE8FC36.jpeg

I’m leaning towards cockerel on this one too…
1F2919CF-A8F8-4D5C-A059-126D3764B6A0.jpeg

The other three are all white, clean legs. When I mentioned the feathered legs that two of the chick’s have, my husband’s friend said they only have one feathered-legged chicken that he knows of, but he didn’t think he got eggs from any hens other than the ISA Browns…so I’m guessing the roosters must have feathered legs or he in fact did get eggs from other hens by accident.

They're all barnyard mixes, 2 cockerels and I'm on the fence for the other.
There's no telling what breeds are in them unless we see the parents

They're all barnyard mixes, 2 cockerels and I'm on the fence for the other.
There's no telling what breeds are in them unless we see the parents
Second that
First two are roos the third one,not sure due to the slow tail feather
That's supposed to be a characteristic of a roo but the comd says else why's

I love black chickens so I got my eyes👀 on #1
Do keep me updated would love to see the outcome 🤲

Number 1 is a stunner, and a roo! So is the second chick. I'm not too sure about the third though. Sorry, but we can't tell what breed they are, they're just mixes

Second that
First two are roos the third one,not sure due to the slow tail feather
That's supposed to be a characteristic of a roo but the comd says else why's

I love black chickens so I got my eyes👀 on #1
Do keep me updated would love to see the outcome 🤲
The tail feather thing is a myth, it's best to look at comb and waddles. :]

At least get photos of those roosters, if the owner doesn't know what breeds they are. Meanwhile, think about your goals for your flock: any reason to keep a rooster, are you planning to raise his chicks, and what for?
Feather sexing is done much younger, and only works when the parents are specifically selected to produce that trait. Just look at combs at this age, and if you want one of these boys to stay, raise them all longer, to see how each develops, and their temperaments.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom