Breed and gender help?

mhzl123

Chirping
13 Years
Jun 9, 2009
I'm new to chickens, was never interested in them until I ordered some ducks from Ideal and received some little packing peanuts. They were Rhode Island Reds, all turned out to be roos and sadly, they ended up being huge and aggressive so we rehomed them. They sure were fun and entertaining though.....when they weren't chasing my 4 year old daughter. Made me want a little flock so when I heard Tractor Supply had chicks in a few weeks ago, I headed down and picked up several out of the assorted bantam tub and one standard. I would like to know what I have. After combing through loads of pics I have a few guesses but no idea if I'm right or not. They are about 3.5 weeks old. Hoping for lots of pullets!! Any help is appreciated!!

This is Spotty (my 4 year old daughter named most of them). After combing through loads of pics I'm going to guess s/he is a silver sebright? Have no idea on gender??

This is my pride and joy Fraggle! S/he's a bit of a spaz but I love him (or her). I was thinking a black frizzled cochin? Maybe a pullet since the comb is not red yet or is it still too early for that? Probably a roo since it's my fave!

This is Chippie. I'm guessing a silver duckwing old english game bird?

This is Louie, my husband's fave. I have no idea on breed but since the comb is so red I'm guessing a little roo?

This is Lemmy, my daughter's pick. Maybe another frizzle cochin? A pullet?

This is Fancy, my second fave. She has the black beak, skin and funky looking feet with five toes! I'm guessing s/he's a silkie? Have no idea on gender. Any thoughts?

Wanted to make sure I ended up with at least one layer so I pulled this one out of the pullet bin. They said the box was mislabeled so they didn't know what they were. She's a standard breed. Hopefully she really is a she since the box was mislabeled, lol. Any thoughts on breed?

1. Silver Laced Wyandotte Pullet (lucky!)
2. Frizzle Cochin cockerel (these are all guesses, btw)
3. Not sure on color, but I agree on the OEGB... cockerel maybe?
4. Booted Bantam Rooster (blue or porcelain?)
5. Frizzle Cochin Pullet (agree)
6. Definitely a Silkie, they tend to be harder to sex so you might have to wait till it lays an egg or crows
7. Production RIR (Not very good on standard breeds, so correct me if I am wrong lol)

EDIT:

The cochin cockerel is hard to tell...light is on the comb and is distorting the color. You said it is less red than it looks?

Last edited:
Chick 1- Silver Sbright pullet
Chick2- Black Frizzle Cochin, rooster
Chick 3- looks like a black breasted red oeg rooster because of the leg color
Chick 4- lavender cochin, rooster
Chick 5- white frizzle cochin, pullet
Chick 6- White Silkie, pullet for now.

Thank you for responding! I really hope you're right about the Wyandotte.....pretty birds! The booted bantams are cool looking also, that's one breed that didn't come up when I was initially searching. Yeah, Fraggle(#2) doesn't have any red on his/her comb, its completely yellow/orange right now. Not even a little pink.

I'm new to chickens, was never interested in them until I ordered some ducks from Ideal and received some little packing peanuts. They were Rhode Island Reds, all turned out to be roos and sadly, they ended up being huge and aggressive so we rehomed them. They sure were fun and entertaining though.....when they weren't chasing my 4 year old daughter. Made me want a little flock so when I heard Tractor Supply had chicks in a few weeks ago, I headed down and picked up several out of the assorted bantam tub and one standard. I would like to know what I have. After combing through loads of pics I have a few guesses but no idea if I'm right or not. They are about 3.5 weeks old. Hoping for lots of pullets!! Any help is appreciated!!

This is Spotty (my 4 year old daughter named most of them). After combing through loads of pics I'm going to guess s/he is a silver sebright? Have no idea on gender??
Silver Sebright, probably a pullet.
This is my pride and joy Fraggle! S/he's a bit of a spaz but I love him (or her). I was thinking a black frizzled cochin? Maybe a pullet since the comb is not red yet or is it still too early for that? Probably a roo since it's my fave!
I think its a Black Cochin cockerel, for now. But if the comb doesn't get much redder/larger in the coming weeks, I change my guess to pullet.
Black Breasted Red Old English Game, rooster.
This is Louie, my husband's fave. I have no idea on breed but since the comb is so red I'm guessing a little roo?
Lavender Cochin cockerel.
White Frizzle Cochin pullet.
This is Fancy, my second fave. She has the black beak, skin and funky looking feet with five toes! I'm guessing s/he's a silkie? Have no idea on gender. Any thoughts?
White Silkie. Its too young to tell gender; Silkies are notorious for being hard to sex until they either crow or lay.
Wanted to make sure I ended up with at least one layer so I pulled this one out of the pullet bin. They said the box was mislabeled so they didn't know what they were. She's a standard breed. Hopefully she really is a she since the box was mislabeled, lol. Any thoughts on breed?
Red Sex-Link pullet.

Silver Sebright. Guessing pullet.
Black Frizzle Cochin. Probably pullet.
Black Breasted Red Old English Game. Cockerel.
Porclain D'Uccle. Definitely rooster.
White Frizzle Cochin. Looks like a pullet.
White Silkie. Too young to tell, but guessing pullet.
Red Sex-Link. Definitely pullet.

Back
Top Bottom