Breed and gender info needed

Stevies Mom

In the Brooder
Dec 31, 2015
Hi all, I am new to raising chickens and was given 4 chicks in October. I need help determining breed and gender. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I think mixed breeds, not sure what breeds were mixed. Looks like all males, except the black one looks to be a girl. They are pretty! OK edit, I looked around and I think you have Easter egger mixes. If you could ask the friend what chickens they have, people on here could probably narrow it down to what breeds you have.

Last edited:
Well you have at least 3 out of 4 cockerels that's for sure. I can't see the black one well enough to be sure but the general shape suggests pullet. If I'm right, you are going to need to get a female friend for her and make a bachelor pad for the lads or keep one cockerel with her and get him several more ladies. Once those hormones start raging (and it will be any time now) there is a risk that she will be seriously injured (she will almost certainly be stripped of feathers off her back) and her life will be a misery... basically, she will be constantly raped by them Older more mature roosters can be kept as a pair or trio but those juvenile male hormones are pretty insatiable for just one or two hens.

They appear to be mixed breed birds, but I'm no expert

I figured I had at least two roosters. I do have another female, she is a rhode island red.
I will get my hubby to make a bachelor pad (I love that, how cute is that for the roosters).
My friend has no clue what type of breeds, she got a mix of eggs and hatched them in an incubator.

Maybe I will try and find a home for one of the boys.

Thanks for the help!

The white is a crossbreed cockerel.

Red is a crossbred cockerel.

The multi-colored looks to be an EE cockerel, of course it could also be an "EE cross" (yes I know that is technically an oxymoron).

The pullet looks like a crossbreed, maybe a Black Sex Link, but more likely just a crossbreed who resembles a BSL.

Thanks everyone. I am going to have to find new homes for two of the cockerels.
I am keeping Stevie, my big guy.

I would guess the girl in the front is a black copper maran and the rooster above her in the pic is an Easter egger. Both look exactly like 2 of mine

Back
Top Bottom